The View from Red Hook

guernseyguy

The following article has photographs taken from the QM2 while at berth in Red Hook - to give some idea of the views (of Manhattan & so forth) one will have. Interestingly a lot of the Red Hook articles have been playing up, if not down right exaggerating the 'class' thing - with one dubbing the QM2 the 'snob mover'. What do people think of the views?:

http://therealestate.observer.com/2006/04/the-queen-mary-2.html

Peter

Thank you Peter for the nice link.

There is a huge difference between our berthplace last year at pier 90 and this place. When we made a short boat trip around Manhatten they showed us the site, but when we where there in Aug. 05 there was just a mess around the area and nobody could belive to fix a liner in 8 month time.

Personaly to you Peter, we are going to visit Gurnsey and Jersey in Aug. this summer. We want to go around by bike, do you think its a good idea? And what to see best within a week? We (Rosa and Robert from Austria) are looking forward to your reply.

Personaly to you Peter, we are going to visit Gurnsey and Jersey in Aug. this summer. We want to go around by bike, do you think its a good idea? And what to see best within a week? We (Rosa and Robert from Austria) are looking forward to your reply.

Rosa & Robert - I can't really speak for Jersey, but Guernsey has lots of lovely quiet country lanes ideal for cycling around:

http://www.visitguernsey.com/gettingaround/results.aspx?typeid=3

A week is plenty of time to see Guernsey - you might also want to visit Sark (cycles only - no cars) and Herm.

Peter

Peter:

The New York Observer is a somewhat scathing, sardonic or just plain sarcastic publication. You may remember the link I posted whereby a sign was superimposed: "Welcome to Brooklyn. Now Get the Hell Out."

They pride themselves on their supppossed hipness.

Most everyone I spoke with in Brooklyn Saturday - and I was all over - was in awe of the Queen and can't wait for her return. Unfortunately we are just average New Yorkers, not the muckraking media.

The views are great. When you are that high up nothing blocks those views. Have likewise views from the 26th floor office tower in Brooklyn - all of Upper New York Bay and more as well as all the east river bridges (beautiful at night) and Manhatan Skyline. That is what is good about Brooklyn - everything is not skyscraper as in Manhattan so you get those unobstructed views. I had so wanted to see QM2 from this view in the dark before sunrise with her lightrs glimmering. But the fog....she crept in.

Archived