Part 2 - Western tropics 1-4-06

cruiselover96

This week went sooo fast. I guess because it was so busy, it was over before you even realised.

We did the breakfast with the Orangatangs in the morning of arriving back in Singapore and what a great morning it was. Nearly didn't do it so am very glad we did. (except we were in a hurry not to miss the bus back to the boat that we forgot our photos with the Orangatangs!!:( Thankfully we had one taken by a keeper).

Malacca - We did the Trishaw tour and loved it. The trishaws looked fabulous (except mine - it had 3 flowers on it and that was it. I got the dud looking one:( ) But it was great fun. Had a trishaw collision going up a small slope in the road near Chinatown area which was quite funny, cars going everywhere whilst you're going against the traffic!! It's amusing to see some very sweaty bike peddlers with their passengers:eek: . Very funny.

KL - Did the KL Discovery tour which took all day. Went to the Batu caves which were fabulous, (great exercise 272 steps up then back), wild monkeys, Selengor factory was was very good, cheap Selengor as well, Batik silk painting, Memorial gardens which were very good also and then lunch at Patronias towers and shopping for nearly 2 hours. A great way to see parts of KL.

Langkawi - one of our favorites - Did the island hopping which was great fun, hired a water thingy were you peddle (can't remember what they're called) for an hour around Pregnant Maiden Lake which was lovely and serene then went over to Wet Rice Island which had beautiful blue/torquise clear water, for an hour or so. We then hired a taxi for the afternoon and he took us all the way around the island and stopped at the Cable Car which was fantastic. HUGE. The view, spectacular:eek: . I hate heights but I conquered the Suspension bridge:eek: . The views were amazing, the water blended into the ocean, you couldn't tell where the water ended and the sky started. It was just beautiful.

Phuket - Did the PHI Phi tour. This was the highlight of the whole 2 week cruise. What a spectacularly beautiful peaceful place. Took a speed boat out to Phi Phi and well, words can't discribe what a magical day it was. Snorkelled at a few places, the water crystal clear, just spectacular. You feed the tropical fish with some banana and they came from everywhere, they even nibbled at you. Went thru some of the little crevices amoungst the rocks into a haven of beautiful landscape with beautiful water. You could even stand, yet you're out in the middle of nowhere. Didn't get much of a chance to shop here so will be definately going back. Patong Beach looked like a great spot, so next time we'll shop as well.

Penang - Was going to do the Monkey beach tour but decided we'd look around shops instead. Had a reflexology massage. What a great experience, hubby thought he was going to die it hurt that much. But everything she told him was spot on!! Did the Happy Hour tour that night and had a ball. they served us tall "cannons" of tiger beer. This is like a huge 3 foot cylinder full of beer. We went thru 3 of those between 5 of us then went for a walk around the block and stopped into another pub for an hour or so where the staff wore huge affro wigs after 9pm. Great fun night. It was hubbys birthday so it was a great way to end the day.

Our only day at sea was well spent relaxing. Because of the tragedy the day before the ship was more quite than usual.

The Sky sailed without a hitch, it was an absolutely fantastic holiday for hubby and I especially as this was our first holiday without any kids.

Met some great people who have become great friends.

OMG I've never felt humidity like it before, you're just dripping all day everyday (unless you're inside all day - even then you dripped sometimes!! lol lol).

If we did any more cruises the same as the 2 weeks we would do somethings differently, but doing it with mostly tours was a great way to see places and whether you liked the place or not and whether it was easy to navigate yourself around if you were on your own.

Looking forward to organizing the next cruise.

Kerri

Hi Kerri - great review. Your afternoon in Langkawi sounded fantastic - I had no idea about the cable car and suspension bridge - that would have been beautiful. I would definately go back to Langkawi and wouldn't mind staying there for a few days.

Phi Phi Island is beautiful isn't it - I have actually been there before . We thought about doing it again but opted for shorter tours with our little boy who I must admit was fantastic on the tours. I heard the KL Discovery tour was great too - we only did the highlights tour so we didn't have time to shop in KL which was a bit of a shame, but it was still an excellent tour.

We did the breakfast with the orangutans in Singapore too and thanks for the good feedback because we thought it was excellent as well. We also thought the night safari at the zoo was excellent too, but I guess it depends if you get the animals out and about which we were lucky that they were all there. Mind you the roars of the lions behind you as the tram was going along in the pitch dark raised the hairs on your neck a little.

It was great meeting you and your hubby and we had a wonderful time too. I just wished it was longer.

Rgs

Leeanne

• 2 weeks later...

Archived