? on using insurance (injuried before cruise)

happycruising2

I told my coworker I would ask this question:

He has a cruise booked for about 3 weeks from now. He just took out cruise insurance (not so much for not being able to go for any reason, but in case of sickness/injury while on the cruise). Anyway...two days after he bought the insurance, his wife fell and hurt her back and so they would really like to cancel this cruise and wait til she feels better.

They did not buy the insurance through their TA (with whom they booked the cruise) and they bought their airfare on their own.

IS it possible for them to not take the cruise and get reimbursed?

Policies vary greatly, not having access to their policy, nobody on this board could say...

It really depends what they bought, only they know that, some policies would cover and some would not.

It also depends on pre-existing conditions clause... some waive them if you buy within 2 weeks of first payment and some are waived if purchased within 48 hours of final payment.

He may also try calling Carnival's guest relations (there was more specific info in the My heartattack aboard the Miracle thread) - they may be able to help book another cruise.

travel insurance is to cover any accidents or illnesses that occur before your cuise and therefore need to cancel....not sure why they didnt just buy their travel insurance thru their TA however they should get reimbursed 100% for the cruise but I doubt that they can get $ back on the airfare.....

I did just come back from a cruise a few weeks ago and I did end up seeing the ship Dr. due to having an extreme case of fluid retention (high sodium foods on the ship) and it's $100.00 just to see him plus medication....we did find out that our travel insurance is going to cover this and reimburse us....I wouldnt book a cruise without it since you never know what can happen :rolleyes:

Most policies require a doctor to certify that an injury requires a patient to not travel.

In this case, I imagine the trip insurance company would view this claim as suspicious. They bought the policy at an unusual time (3 weeks before the cruise) and then the wife falls two days later and hurts her back. She could have very easily hurt her back, then they quickly bought the insurance, and she waited to see a doctor for a couple days. I'm not accusing your friend of this, but red flags are there.

I agree with calling the travel insurance co. Get everything in writing. Get who you talked to. Get the date and time you called. Keep copious notes. I've learned the hard way. What you think a clause means, can be totally different from how the insurance company interprets it.

Another question---How much time has elapsed since the injury? Many policies state you need to be seen by a doctor within a certain time frame after the injury and then you must turn in the claim right away saying you are cancelling. You cannot wait to "see how you feel" and then later decide to cancel (and expect the insurance to pay). I would definitely have them read the policy carefully. Tell your co-worker good luck.

Joanne :)

Why not call the insurance company and find out rather than hearing hearsay on this board? There are so many variables, and no one here knows any of the important particulars that will determine whether or not the insurance will kick in.

Mark T

The other thing to check is to see exactly when the policy became valid. We purchased insurance yesteday for a future cruise AND it is not valid until 3 days after purchase. So if I was injured today, it would not cover the cancellation.

Also with a medical reason to cancell, most insurance policies asked for a letter from the doctor stating that the person is unable to travel etc.

They need to read the fine print. Hope she feels better quickly.

Archived