Why I like HAL dining better X...keep it simple!

bryanjaync

Maybe the return postings will say (in the usual couresty manner) that I am a bumpkin, but I really prefer the food on HAL to X for the simple reason, that I understand what I am ordering. For my taste, the X menu tries too hard to be 'gourmet'....for example, I was bold and ordered "terrine' on X...turns out to be a cold gelatin with mushrooms inside. And yes, it was as bad as it sounds. And a fish named Bream, news to me ! Bucatini with Duck Confit ???? And for dessert...Joconde Biscuit Alize, uh ? Paris Brest ? what ? Yes, they do have a vague-ish description for the ONLY the entrees, and yes I could have asked the always ready-to-explain waiter....But I just like a simpler to understand menu and a less trying dinner time. Any others out there ? Or should I find a table with Beverly Hillbillies and use the 'pot passers' !

I really like the more exotic foods X offers. I happen to enjoy sea bream (a white fish from the Med) and order it when I see it on the menu in restuarants. I am not a fan of traditional Continental type food, and especially American standards.

I was pleased to enjoy a very nice Osso Buco on HAL a few weeks ago as I am used to their offerings being a bit more sedate. But IMO they were hit and miss on anything that was not standard fare. We dined in the specialty restaurant 6 nights of seven because of this.

On my X cruises, I never had that need although it is a nice option.

The food on Celebrity is one of the top reasons we choose to sail with them. The choices in the dining room are varied and usually perfectly presented. We look forward to the interesting fish choices, and to sometimes try something new to us. I will admit we are probably more adventurous than average, and we aren't the type to eat a lot of roast beef and potatoes.

The alternative dining area in the evening offers more of a standard fare, with steaks, salmon and more ordinary choices.

Our little jewel on the M class ships is the Spa Cafe. That's our lunch spot every day on every cruise. The menu is fresh, interesting and delicious. It is also open for breakfast.

Maybe the return postings will say (in the usual couresty manner) that I am a bumpkin, but I really prefer the food on HAL to X for the simple reason, that I understand what I am ordering. For my taste, the X menu tries too hard to be 'gourmet'....for example, I was bold and ordered "terrine' on X...turns out to be a cold gelatin with mushrooms inside. And yes, it was as bad as it sounds. And a fish named Bream, news to me ! Bucatini with Duck Confit ???? And for dessert...Joconde Biscuit Alize, uh ? Paris Brest ? what ? Yes, they do have a vague-ish description for the ONLY the entrees, and yes I could have asked the always ready-to-explain waiter....But I just like a simpler to understand menu and a less trying dinner time. Any others out there ? Or should I find a table with Beverly Hillbillies and use the 'pot passers' !

Well, Jethro, ya better grab Granny from out by the cement pond, pull up the truck and find some good vittles somewhere else. I hear they serve a mean possum on HAL.

But kidding aside, you should feel free to spend your money with the cruise line that best fits your need. Isn't it great there are so many to choose from? Vote with your money!!

Our little jewel on the M class ships is the Spa Cafe. That's our lunch spot every day on every cruise. The menu is fresh, interesting and delicious. It is also open for breakfast.

Enjoy the dining on Celebrity very much. And i agree with you, the spa cafe is absolutely a true jewel. I dont think allot of people realize how good it is. We eat there every lunch and usually have a bite later in the day to hold us till late dining.

Nadine

No problem for you, just sail with someone else. How nice that we have choices in our lives and don't have to try to make everyone else fit into our idea of what is good.

Get me wrong I love Celebrity ! But I am two-timer, and love HAL too ! Just a comment on a single facet of the cruising experience...and BTW Celebrity's Olympic is miles and miles ahead of HAL's Pinnacle (one of the worst dining experiences on the high seas for us !)......And yes, I love that the cruise market is so diverse that it seems everyone can find their niche (or in my case niches)......oops the possum is about to boil over, have to run !

Enjoy the dining on Celebrity very much. And i agree with you, the spa cafe is absolutely a true jewel. I dont think allot of people realize how good it is. We eat there every lunch and usually have a bite later in the day to hold us till late dining.

Nadine

Hi Motherchic !

I totally agree about the spa cafe. I wish all the Celebrity ships had it, and not just the M-Class ships. At least Century will have it once the refurb is complete. We eat lunch there most every day.

With all the calories added on a Cruise, it is nice to feel that you can have a healthy lunch at the spa cafe... and it tastes great too !

As I am leaving next week on my first HAL and it's a 25 nighter, I guess I will have lots to compare with when I get back!

So are you saying that it's pretty much beef, chicken and potatoes on HAL???

Hi Gail !

Wow, a 25 nighter !!! Not bad :)

Please let us know how you enjoy the HAL Experience. The way Celebrity is going with their 2007/2008 itineraries, I will probably book with HAL or Princess in late 2007. I may wind up cancelling my next Celebrity Cruise, and going on Coral Princess instead of Constellation in November. I will decide in a few weeks.

I had a good friend come off of Westerdam this weekend, and they said they had a great time, and they were very happy with the food. I am pretty sure you will be just fine.

I look forward to your comparisons.

Andy, I hope the food isn't too plain or it may get very boring. Course that just might mean I wouldn't gain as much weight!:D

I plan to write a log while onboard (I have to justify that 3 pound laptop I'm going to pick up tomorrow!). I'll post an abbreviated one and send the full one to anyone who asks and sends me an email address.

My trip is on Prinsendam and sails the River Amazon (as the guide books call it). I am quite excited!:D

Bream is also a very small fish full of bones found in lakes in Texas. It tastes pretty good breaded with cornmeal and fried if you survive the bones. Us goat-ropers from Texas all know possum´s no good - too fat and greasy. But real Texas barbecue, now that´s the best of the best - beef, of course, slow-cooked in a pit with a mop (for you foreigners - non-Texans - a thin marinade used to baste the meat while it´s cooking), served with spicy Texas-style barbecue sauce (LBJ´s recipe is the best I´ve ever found). German Texans barbecue sausage, preferably homemade. Cultural difference: in Texas barbecue beef is always made with the brisket; my Norwegian immigrant grandparents thought the brisket wasn´t any good and gave it away when they butchered a beef on the farm.

As I am leaving next week on my first HAL and it's a 25 nighter, I guess I will have lots to compare with when I get back!

So are you saying that it's pretty much beef, chicken and potatoes on HAL???

Heavens no, tuggers. There's much more than meat and potatoes, but there is sometimes a 'comfort food' selection with things like meatloaf, pot roast, etc. There's plenty of 'gourmet' selections. I've even had terrine! They can keep the baked alaska though, yuck.

Almost forgot... the pinnacle offers a 6 course tasting menu, with a different glass of wine with each course. its a bit extra $$$ but i highly recommend it.

Andy, I hope the food isn't too plain or it may get very boring. Course that just might mean I wouldn't gain as much weight!:D

I plan to write a log while onboard (I have to justify that 3 pound laptop I'm going to pick up tomorrow!). I'll post an abbreviated one and send the full one to anyone who asks and sends me an email address.

My trip is on Prinsendam and sails the River Amazon (as the guide books call it). I am quite excited!:D

Hi Gail !

You SHOULD be excited. That sounds like one heck of a trip. For me, it is a dream for many years down the road. No matter how much I want to do something like that, I JUST cant take off that much time from work at 1 time. My clients would kill me LOL.

BTW, are you getting the new Gateway Laptop ? I know its around 3 lbs, and I have my eye on that one too.

The way Celebrity is going with their 2007/2008 itineraries, I will probably book with HAL or Princess in late 2007. I may wind up cancelling my next Celebrity Cruise, and going on Coral Princess instead of Constellation in November. I will decide in a few weeks.

Andy, could you explain what you meant about the Celebrity 2007/2008 intineraries??

Andy, no, Acer has one just out with the duo processor and it's a good bit faster. Weighs about the same. Plus it comes with 2 batteries and was about $100 less. It's been getting some good write ups and reviews.

I pick it up tomorrow afternoon. My geek guys are loading everything and checking it out.

My friend Jeff has the Dell but he has had to replace the mother board already because the card reader went out.

I'm looking for a scuba material sleeve for it if anyone knows where to get one!

The way Celebrity is going with their 2007/2008 itineraries, I will probably book with HAL or Princess in late 2007. I may wind up cancelling my next Celebrity Cruise, and going on Coral Princess instead of Constellation in November. I will decide in a few weeks.

Andy, could you explain what you meant about the Celebrity 2007/2008 intineraries??

Hi Cruise Guy...

What I meant by that... was that Celebrity posted the 2007/2008 Europe schedules last week on their website, and on Saturday, they removed them off the website. We are all a bit curious as to why Celebrity took the itineraries off their website. Perhaps they just got tired of everyone calling and asking when they would be available for sale :) .

If what was shown, turns out to be reality (and keep in mind, there may be changes being made), the 2007/2008 Caribbean season for Celebrity may be one of the smallest they have had in years. Here is why.... most of the ships were still in Europe in Late November / Early December 2007, They are typically in the Caribbean in Late October - Early November. That means most of the ships wont be in the Caribbean until sometime in December 2007. If this holds true, this would give them a 4 - 4 1/2 month Caribbean schedule, instead of the typical 5-6 month Caribbean season. I do understand that Europe is very hot right now, so I do understand the rationale.... to a point.

Remember, this MAY not turn out to be the case, but if you do the Math, based on what we saw on the internet last week, then it looks like it will be a short season for the Caribbean passengers. I am still hoping some minor adjustments will be made before the Caribbean schedules are released. Stay Tuned. We should know more soon.

If the Caribbean season is that short (I'm usually IN the Caribbean by October) then I guess it will be a good year to try out some other brands.

I was happy enough with the Princess ships to go again. And Royal is always a good bet if they don't have the same sort of schedule. Princess has dynamite itineraries. And after the HAL, I may be considering them, too. My ta wants me to do Crystal. Options, options!

To each his own as far as the food goes. While I have sailed HAL & X. I do prefer the food on X. Never in a million years would I go on a cruise ship to eat meat loaf and calves liver. :eek: My 93 year old grandmother did just fine with the food on X, but she also did enjoy the calves liver on HAL...

Was there any sign of any new destinations? Or will we have to wait for the two new ships to be built? South Pacific? Asia? others?

Hi Cruise Guy !

None yet. The only itineraries we have had glimpses of, is Europe and Alaska.

As for South Pacific and Asia... it could happen, but for 2007/2008, I wouldnt bet on it. I would say it is more of a possibility when Solstice and Equinox are built. That will give Celebrity much more flexibility to do new itineraries.

Lisa, normally I would agree with you, but when I'm on the extended cruises (40+ on Horizon, 30+ on Century, etc) meatloaf might sound pretty good. X has always been nice to fix special things for serial cruisers but I hate to keep asking.

I'll report back after HAL and let you know if I took advantage of the comfort food selection.

Lisa, normally I would agree with you, but when I'm on the extended cruises (40+ on Horizon, 30+ on Century, etc) meatloaf might sound pretty good. X has always been nice to fix special things for serial cruisers but I hate to keep asking.

I'll report back after HAL and let you know if I took advantage of the comfort food selection.

Hi fellow Georgian! You make an excellent point, you can only eat so many steaks and pieces of salmon... :)

Take good care of that Galaxy for me! We are returning to her again this Christmas with even more of our family. Speaking of which could you email me, I have one very small favor to ask about the Galaxy for my 9 year old daughter :rolleyes:

Archived