1st time cruiser questions

kellyteach02

Hello everyone! My husband and I are going on our first cruise in June on the Celebration. We had planned on doing the fishing excursion in Key West and the snorkeling excursion to Pearl Island in Nassau. Are these excursions worth it, or would we be better off doing something on our own? If so, what should we do? Help! I want us to have a memorable time - we are celebrating our anniversary! Thanks!!:)

Hello everyone! My husband and I are going on our first cruise in June on the Celebration. We had planned on doing the fishing excursion in Key West and the snorkeling excursion to Pearl Island in Nassau. Are these excursions worth it, or would we be better off doing something on our own? If so, what should we do? Help! I want us to have a memorable time - we are celebrating our anniversary! Thanks!!:)

We don't usually do "ship excursions" because they are more expensive BUT since you are a first time cruiser...I would highly recommend you do your excursions through the ship. That way you won't be stressed about getting back to the ship on time (a common stress factor among first time cruisers).

Go to the PORT section of this board and read the posts on each port you need info on. You will find more detailed information about excursions there then here.

Have a great cruise and happy anniversary!!

The Celebration was our first family cruise back in 1998 and we loved it!

13 cruises later...we still love it!!

I always do the excursions from the ship, but its not for everyone... One of the main reasons i cruise is to avoid traffic, confusion and getting lost looking for things....Thats why i book through the ship none of that will happen to me(knock on wood)...

If you are more adventurous go out on your own and have fun but remember the ship will not wait on you....

I have had two so so days in port both were when i didn't book an excursion so spend the money and have a great time!!!!

We have been on four cruises with a fifth booked. I do not feel comfortable booking excursions outside of the cruise lines. I recommend the same for you.

As to what you should do, that boils down to personal preference. I can't speak for Key West. Hurricane Wilma killed that stop last October. Nassau was a different matter. We did the stingrays. It was interesting but we should have been on that Yellow Party Boat. Nassau is a beautiful location. A tour of Atlantis could be fun. We toured at night and loved it. It was free after a certain time. Night visits should be with a group for safety. Here are a few photos.

lighthouse.jpg

atlantis.jpg

I would stay away from Pearl Island. We did both the Blue Lagoon and Pearl Island during our Hurricane Wilma cruise. We loved the Blue Lagoon but Pearl Island was very small and crowded. I like to snorkel with a bit more space and not be required to wear a life vest. At Pearl Island you have to wear the life vest and are in a small area. The beach area was small also! Unfortunately the Blue Lagoon is not offered anymore since the tour company closed. You may be able to go here on a private tour.

Tater1800, what ship were you on during Hurricane Wilma? we were on the Imagination and also were supposed to go to Key West and Cozumel. Obviously that did not happen but we had the best cruise ever! It went from a 4 day to a 6 day and then to a 9 day!

...Tater1800, what ship were you on during Hurricane Wilma? we were on the Imagination and also were supposed to go to Key West and Cozumel. Obviously that did not happen but we had the best cruise ever! It went from a 4 day to a 6 day and then to a 9 day!

We were on the Celebration. We hit Freeport then Nassau. We spent a little time waiting for Wilma to pass with an extra sea day. The ship crawled slowly in the Bahamas. I enjoyed the wind and waves but then I am strange that way.

wilma.jpg

Archived