Another dining room attire question......

Fun~N~Sun

Thank you. I agree about the 15 year old comment. Like I said most college "men" who are 20 dress this way. ...

I guess it depends on what college students you're looking at. The kids at my daughters college (which is not exactly Ivy League by any means) dress very appropriately when it is called for.

It doesn't really matter, both he and you are going to do what you want, so I just want to know why you asked if you don't want to hear the answers??

Cargo pants are sloppy...JMO.

But I know for a fact that the staff will allow him into the dining room no matter what he has on, so have a blast.

I agree, Gordon!:D

I don't understand what the big deal is about dressing accordingly. To the OP: Your son will probably be allowed into the DR with cargo pants but he will not see many dressed like himself. If that were me, I would feel very uncomfortable. Why not put on a nice pair of Dockers with his shirt buttoned? Not only is it closer to what is suggested, but you could take a lot of nice pictures with him being dressed up. Don't you think that would be something he could look at years from now and be proud of how nice he looked? Dinner lasts a little over an hour and he could change back into his regular clothes afterwards. If he was only wearing them for an hour, he could even wear them more than once. And beige pants goes with almost everything.

Instead of looking at this as punishment, why not show him this will be chance to do something different? If I were young, I know I would look twice at a man in Dockers and a nice shirt than one in cargo pants and unbuttoned shirt. I am NOT saying your son is a slob whatsoever. Look at this as a chance to be different.

As a parent of two twenty somethings who went on our last cruise, I can tell you that what you describe sounds perfectly fine for non formal nights and I was on Princess. I saw many fortysomethings not dressed as neatly. And my two daughters wore cute outfits every night, no capri's, but that's just because they had sundresses on, I saw very nice capri's worn my many of the women.

On a side note, becuase of the fire on the star which was our cruise, my husband and I elected not to go to the last formal night, but the girls who had met many other people her age, put on nice dresses, and the guys dress slacks and ties. No jackets, but this was some 48 hours after the fire and all the dress codes had been relaxed.

One may like the preppy look while the other prefers the more casual look.

IMHO, this IS the crux of the argument and the OP brought it up. The "more casual look" is for college bars, TGIF's, the beach cabana, football games, etc., NOT a ship's dining room. It won't hurt your son to put on a pair of Dockers and a tucked in shirt, with a belt and real shoes. Not much different than what he was planning to wear anyhow, just NOT so casual.

I completely don't get this??!! The son in question is 20, right? My guess is that at some time, he will have to abandon the "hanging out" look for something more appropriate for say, a job. That doesn't mean he needs to burn his entire wardrobe, but merely expand it and wear the appropriate clothing at the appropriate time, especially when it is specifically called for.

I taught my son this. He also knows that there is a time and place for everything. He also knows that going on a cruise (he's been on two so far with another coming in October) is a privilege, not a right. Oh yea, I forgot to mention that my son will be turning 5 next week. He understands these things now.

To the OP - your son may dine in what he considers comfortable and cool, but he should do so in the Horizon Court. Actually, he can wear his shorts or jeans there for that matter. Dressing up for dinner is not something we do at home, and to do it on a cruise is kind of special. And a great time to get some family portraits taken! This is the only time we have formal portraits taken and they are great keepsakes of our cruises.

I completely don't get this??!! The son in question is 20, right? My guess is that at some time, he will have to abandon the "hanging out" look for something more appropriate for say, a job. That doesn't mean he needs to burn his entire wardrobe, but merely expand it and wear the appropriate clothing at the appropriate time, especially when it is specifically called for.

I taught my son this. He also knows that there is a time and place for everything. He also knows that going on a cruise (he's been on two so far with another coming in October) is a privilege, not a right. Oh yea, I forgot to mention that my son will be turning 5 next week. He understands these things now.

To the OP - your son may dine in what he considers comfortable and cool, but he should do so in the Horizon Court. Actually, he can wear his shorts or jeans there for that matter. Dressing up for dinner is not something we do at home, and to do it on a cruise is kind of special. And a great time to get some family portraits taken! This is the only time we have formal portraits taken and they are great keepsakes of our cruises.

Well said, Gordon.

I disagree that girls would think he was a dork for dressing up. I teach kids in his age bracket, and I know how entranced girls get if their male classmates ever dress up for presentations. Like their older counterparts, kids like to see one another dressed up, especially the opposite sex.

Calm down! If this 20 year old is wearing an ironed, collared shirt, pressed pants (cargo or not), NO ONE should have a problem with that. For a 20 year old that IS casual dress! He'll be comfortable, look nice and you will have a WONDERFUL vacation.

Enjoy!

Terri

We cruised Carnival with our kids. My (then) 18 yr old wore khakis but not cargo style with the pockets all over them. He wore button-down collared shirts (open) with a nice collarless shirt underneath. I don't think he looked "dorky" and he looked appropriate for dinner. He wasn't the least bit uncomfortable or out of style. Isn't there some happy medium between "dorky" and sloppy?

I think the OP did say it was an ironed, collered, button down shirt, worn open with a coordinated t-shirt along with ironed cargo slacks. A very sharp look for a 20 year old. I still say he'll look fine.

Actually, you're re-writing history to project your own agenda and biases. What the original poster said was:

would my 20 year old son be okay to wear kakhi's (the kind with lots of pockets like young guys wear) with a t-shirt and a button up shirt overtop left open? This is way he dresses all the time and I told him I thought he would be fine. No shorts, not just a t-shirt, he will have on a shirt with a collar overtop (unbuttoned and left open). Also, is he okay to wear sandals to the dining room?

There is no mention of ironing, button-down collars or coordinated t-shirts. These are words you've made up to try to make the OP look more rational and "classy". Nice try. :D

In reality, the cargo pants will probably be wrinkled, the open shirt wrinkled, and the t-shirt flagrantly exhibiting something classy like rap music lyrics or profanities. and the cargo pants drooping off the kid's butt and revealing more than a little buttcrack.:)

You me, me, me, people never give up, do you?:eek:

I think if I were young girl in this day and age and I saw a 20 year old guy come into a dining room in dress pants with a shirt tucked in with dress shoes on...I'd probably think what a dork and look the other way.

Gee, I wonder where the son gets his aversion to dressing up?

Can't we just all get along, lol? IMO, no, the OP's description of her son's attire wouldn't be appropriate for the dining room at dinner time, but that's just me. Thankfully, my son dressed the way I asked him to dress without any grief. Now at age 20 he finally appreciates looking nice.

Exactly. My child's dress would have to pass my rules before I had to worry about anyone else's rules.

And only THEN would we adhere to what was requested/suggested/call it what you like to suit yourself, of us collectively.

The OP says her son will be wearing a T Shirt with a shirt open over it, as I understand it. Well, haven't we looked at quotes that say NO T Shirts in the dining room at dinner? Doesn't that answer the question in itself?

I have had to go through more training on meeting people than I care to consider. In the first 5 to 7 seconds the person meeting you forms a first opinion that is very hard to change. That rule applies on or off vacation, in any situation. The other person's first impression of you is formed usually before you open your mouth. If you have trouble remembering people's name, start with a little bit of small talk, then give your name and ask theirs. You will remember their and they will remember your name much better.

The OP's son is free to wear what he wants, minus, apparently by the rules, the T Shirt. Why not just button up the shirt? But he may want to consider he will be on a ship with thousands of people and he may want to think about what impression he will be making. And it is good practice for life.

I was surprised to see this thread is still going. I really don't think people would give the OP's son a second look wearing what was described. There were jeans, tshirts, and shorts during my cruise and the only mention to it was on the 1st night. The maitre D said something about shorts being okay for that night only but apparently nothing was said to people wearing them on other nights.

I'm really not sure why so many people are so protective of the so-called rules when the cruiseline doesn't seem to be.

Archived