Thanks Scubagirrl, Bahama's snorkeling.

CaptSatch

On the advice of Scubagirrl I booked an afternoon snorkel adventure with Stuart Cove's dive center.Along on the trip were my wife and 14 and 16 yo daughters.We arranged the reservations through the Stuart coves website and paid $45 per person, a substantial savings over a cruise ship booking. The shuttle picked us up on schedule directly in front of the cruise ship visitors center. the 35 minute ride to the Dive center was interesting as you get to see what the island is really like, the sight of many security bars on windows in an island paradise made me think that there must be a fair amount of crime on the island. After waiting in line for approx 15 minutes to register for the trip we were out to our boat for the trip. Stuarts is a very no frills operation, they sold me some fish food for $2 and the only other thing they offered was free water on the boat. Our first stop was a shallow reef dive with great water clarity and numerous species of fish, it lasted approx 40 minutes, we were anchored right in front of one of the most over the top homes I have ever seen, owned by the Nine West shoe designer. 80 million spent and still building. The second stop was described as a wreck dive but ended up being another shallow reef dive with many fish again for about 1/2 hour. the final stop was the highlight. The mates dropped a milk crate full of fish heads to attract sharks and about 30 reef sharks were attracted to the chum about 25' down, We all then went into the water for a close up look at the sharks, some approaching 8'. After we wtched them for a few minutes we all went back aboard and the mates let the kids on board hand feed the sharks who fought over the fish scraps, all really cool. we then proceeded back to the dock. This tour takes up all of the afternoon so make sure you have the time as we did not get back to town until 630 pm. Thanks again scubagirrl.

How was the water temperature when you went? Did you need wet suit tops? We are going in mid-May.

We were there in January this year and snorkeled without wet suits. The water temp then was about 72 and it was a bit chilly getting in, but great once you were in. I bet it will be fine in May. :)

kitty

I would say that the water temp was over 75 degrees. I jumped right in and felt no shock from it being cold,and I was quite comfortable while snorkeling. Don't forget to bring towels and sunscreen and any snacks you may want. The snorkeling equipment provided was nothing special but adequate. Booking online will save you some dollars but must be done at least a week in advance if I remember correctly.

Archived