Family Bermuda Bound-June 2006

Donna & Bob

Does anyone have information they can share with me on wheelchair accessibility in Bermuda? I see that the excursions note uneven roads. What about the access to the beaches? I can walk with a cane for short distances, but for long distance, I need a wheelchair. Any advice?:o

Donna...I don't have much experience in dealing with the handicapped accessibility issues in Bermuda but one excursion our family took was the one hour trolley ride around Hamilton. You don't have to get out of the trolley. You meet the trolley right outside the pier building. You would have to walk down the ramp and off the ship into the building. There you would have to ride an escalator down to the street level. Don't remember if there are elevators. I seem to remember benches around if you need to sit and rest.

Another suggestion...once outside the pier building in Hamilton almost immediately to your right is the place where the horse and buggies wait for passengers. You might enjoy a buggy ride around Hamilton. We did this independently and it was $30 for half hour for 3 of us.

Perhaps your family can push your chair around Hamilton so you can shop a little. The shops are very close to where Zenith docks. Also in St. George, it's a short distance to the Town Square where you can watch a public dunking re-enactment, or catch a horse and buggy ride there. Many souvenier shops right off the main square.

I'm not a beach person and only went to Horseshoe Bay beach once. There is a long steep road to the beach. We took a taxi down and back. Once at the bottom of the road it is a walk to the water as the beach is pretty wide. Someone may have an idea of a more easily accessible beach.

I'm not sure how far you can walk but my mom cannot walk much and she uses a walker with a little fold down seat on it so she can sit and rest in between. It folds up easily and takes much less room in a car/taxi than a wheelchair.

Whatever you decide to do I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. Zenith really is a little gem of a ship, easy to navigate, and with the absolutely best crew out there. I know they will take very good care of you.

Hi! You've come to the right person. My husband and I have made many trips, to Bermuda, over the years, and it is a wheelchair friendly spot. If your Mother wishes, to go to the beach, have a cab let you off at the top of Horseshoe Bay, and wheel the chair, to the sand. If your Mother can't ambulate, you can park towels and umbrella, right there!! I know, I'm in a chair, too!! As for excursions, don't waste your time or money...........call a cab, or flag one down, and for about $20, they'll show you all the sights! Many nicer things, than going on those stupidly expensive excursions!!!! Please, take my advise, as my family is, from the island, so we have boocou experience, in this stuff. It's way easy, to go shopping, in Hamilton, with a chair. Don't bother with the bus, or the ferry. The wait for the ferry, is way TOO LONG, and a taxi will do you, perfectly!! The horse and buggy ride is a waste.....they take you along the nastier part, of Hamilton. Not at all picturesque!! Just tell your cabbie, what you would like to see. Many of the tours, particularly, in Bermuda, are these fabricated things, making something out of nothing, just to take your hard earned cash. Give it to the cabbie....you will not be sorry. Get a nice air conditioned cab. A small, independent one, which will, only be carrying your family. We were, just there in October, and are returning, next month. It is a gracious, beautiful island!! Don't let the wheelchair stop you, from enjoying the sights!!!! Thank you for allowing me to offer input!!!!

I didn't think our horse and buggy ride in Hamilton was in a particularly seedy part of Hamilton at all. I do think our ride in St. George was much nicer because of the views of the sea from the hills and because we enjoyed the pretty pastel homes and gardens. We did both of these rides independently.

:) Thank you for the great information and tips on how I can make my trip better in Bermuda with needing to use a wheelchair. I was so worried that I would be a burden and my family wouldn't enjoy themselves because of my disability. But, after reading your responses, I am beginning to feel that I will have a GREAT time and so will my husband and children.

Thank you so very much!

Donna~

Archived