balcony cabin at rear of ship (Dawn)

These are perfect cabins. The aft is wonderful, watching the dolphins jump in the wake. Many of the balconies are deeper, check the 10th deck, they are the best. Some have commented on the smell of fresh baked bread in the afternoon...... Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

These are perfect cabins. The aft is wonderful, watching the dolphins jump in the wake. Many of the balconies are deeper, check the 10th deck, they are the best. Some have commented on the smell of fresh baked bread in the afternoon...... Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Is there a bakery aboard, or do you mean engine fumes??

Is there a bakery aboard, or do you mean engine fumes??

Must be a bakery near by, everyone says it makes them hungry with the smell of fresh baked bread.

The aft balconies are great, any one out smoking on the balcony and the smoke just blows away.....no drifting into another cabin nearby.

As long as you don't mind the long walks to the elevator - some passengers have complained about it. Is great for anyone who loves to walk.

Also, I belive there is no privacy on these aft balconies in that everyone above can view you as they are tiered which is not the case with Starboard/Port.

As long as you don't mind the long walks to the elevator - some passengers have complained about it. Is great for anyone who loves to walk.

Also, I belive there is no privacy on these aft balconies in that everyone above can view you as they are tiered which is not the case with Starboard/Port.

oh, good to know. And the possibility of things being dropped onto balcony too.

The wake is beautiful though. Which is why we would dine at the Venetian on the Dawn and sit by the window to watch it. Or an aft pool - to just have that chaise face the wake. We really liked the Celebrity Zenith as enven thought it had no balconies, the al fresco diding and sun deck over looked the wake. The Crown NCL seems like it might also be this with the pool and dining aft.

What did you do about it?? What did NCL do?

We were on the Dawn a few years ago and tried to talk the the butt and cigarette flickers to no avail, so we went to the Reception Desk with one of the butts as exhibit A. They did nothing. So I composed a letter to the Hotel Director, Klaus nicely stating that we were fustrated. THe butt flicking stopped about 6 hours later and that evening and each night afterwards we received canapes, hor duerves, chocolate strawberries, little gifts from Klaus.

The elevator is a short walk from the AFT Staterooms if the Dawn is anything like the Star. It is a long walk if you are going all the way forward. We liked the exercise though. The balcony was completely private on deck 8 (again the Star) but from what I understand the two ships are very similar.

Must be a bakery near by, everyone says it makes them hungry with the smell of fresh baked bread.

The aft balconies are great, any one out smoking on the balcony and the smoke just blows away.....no drifting into another cabin nearby.

The bakery smell was unbelievably good! Unfortunately, we had smokers not sure where but their smoke sure did float in. Still though, the balcony was great.

I'd pick the ones on the back whenever I had the chance.

Unfortunately a lot of people have the same idea so they often go fast.

You get a little more motion on the front/back of ship and have to walk a little more. But for the wake view its easily worth it.

The AFT of the ship is our favorite spot. We will choose our cruise dates based on being able to get AFT Balconies. We have sailed twice in AFT deck 10 Romance Penthouse Suites on the Dawn. They were GREAT! The smell from the bakery is wonderful in the evening. Wisps of fresh baking bread and danish, yum.... The view is tremendous, the sound of the churning water from the wake is relaxing. The balconies are pretty private. They are only slightly teired.

"We used to get cigarette butts floating down on us."

AND

"We were on the Dawn a few years ago and tried to talk the the butt and cigarette flickers to no avail, so we went to the Reception Desk with one of the butts as exhibit A. "

THIS is why I have contacted the ICCL and NCLA regarding mandating changes in smoking rules on ALL cruise ships. Oceania Cruises DO NOT allow any smoking in cabins or balconies. That's the way it should be on ALL cruise ships.

We had an aft on the Jewel this past Feb. and it was wonderful. The best view on the ship. Great to enjoy a before dinner cocktail and watch the wake and relax. Also, if there is no room around the pool, who cares you have the best seat in the house.

Just booked the Dawn (again) this time we have the aft. Can't figure out the cigarette problem, the spa is above the cabins. All glassed in.

Go for deck 10. Balcony is almost as large as your cabin.

Enjoy:o

I sailed the Dawn this past March and was fortunate enough to get an upsell to an AE Penthouse suite in the Aft of the ship. Yes there was wonderful aromas that came from the bakery during the early afternoon. The one thing that I was not happy with was that the AD above us was occupied by people who smoked. Though we never smelled the smoke there was always ashes and cigarette butts on our balcony each day. I did during our 11 day sailing speak with the Director of Housekeeping and he did take care of the situation. We really enjoyed the Aft balcony very much but one thing is that you can not leave the door open at night because the noise from the engines is very loud. Other then that the view was great. We were on the 9th deck. The deck above us was farther back from our balcony so that was probably why we were bothered with the smoking thing. I know that we will again do the Aft balcony, but next time, we will be on the 8th or 10th deck to avoid this problem.

DO YOU REALLY SEE DOLPHINS OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE OCEAN??? I'VE READ THIS MORE THEN ONCE BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN DOLPHINS OUT AT SEA.

Archived