What to do in Oahu

lozzajelly

After our cruise will be spending 1 part day and 3 full days in Honolulu. Any suggestions to make the most of these days? Already planning to do Pearl Harbour but not sure on anything else?

Help!!!!

Thanks

Lozza

:confused:

After our cruise will be spending 1 part day and 3 full days in Honolulu. Any suggestions to make the most of these days? Already planning to do Pearl Harbour but not sure on anything else?

Help!!!!

Thanks

Lozza

:confused:

first thing you can do is to log on to www.hawaii.com/visit/oahu/activities/index.php

what i would do is rent a jeep and drive around the island! north shore, dole pinapple fields get a dole whip(ice cream) and check out all the beaches. plenty of beaches duing the week have no one on them. so get a map and have fun!

We've visited several times and love Oahu. In 2004 we spent two weeks there while my husband attended a conference at the U.of Hawaii and I got to know the island quite well.

First - there's alot more to Oahu that Waikiki......and while I love sitting on Waikiki and just soaking up the sun and sights (surfers, Diamon Head, an outrigger canoe....) you need to venture out and explore.

You can take a short hike up to Diamond Head, snorkel Hanauma Bay - arrive early or the lot fills up, or visit the North Shore - well worth a full day visit. Sometimes you can visit various locations for "LOST" if it is filming. The Polynesian Cultural Center would take a full day if you were interested, the Dole Plantation and Sea Life Park are also options - although they wouldn't be high on my list. Visit the swap meet at the Stadium (w,s,s,) for great bargins (a must visit for me), the stadium is near Pearl Harbor. Visit Duke's on Waikiki for great drinks - and take a picture of Duke's Statue (located nearby) - he is, after all, the King of Surfing. A picture of the many surfboards lined up at the storage racks (like a bike rack for surfboards) is great too. There is also a small China Town....so explore Oahu - you'll love it.

:-)

Sandy

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. Already found out about the swap meets and decided this is definately a must for me!!!! From what I undersstand they sell absolutely everything so may just do one big present shop then, what do you think?

Lozza

You will find EVERYTHING there - at much cheaper prices than anywhere else in the islands. I had already purchased a number of gifts prior to our first visit - and could have kicked myself when I found the exact items so much cheaper.

Sandy

We lived in Honolulu for 18 years and I still go back twice a year for 2 weeks at a time.

For mac nuts, kona coffee, post cards, and other trinkets, head to the nearest Longs Drug Store.

5 things "not to miss" --- that you can do very cheap:

• Hike Diamond Head. Get there when they open around 6 or 6:30 am. It'll get pretty warm otherwise.
  • Snorkel at Hanauma Bay. Again, get there when they open. They will close the park to visitors when they meet capacity.
  • Visit Pearl Harbor. Awesome, thought-provoking tour.
  • Hit the beach. It's hard to find a bad one in Hawaii. Waikiki and Ala Moana are great beaches but they will be crowded. If you can get out and about, do so.
  • Drive up to Pali Lookout. Walk in front of the primary viewing area and enjoy the heavy winds.

Strongly recommend you read up on any of the places you plan to visit. You'll get a lot more out of Hawaii if you know the history.

For a great swimming beach away from the hustle and bustle, drive across the island to Kailua. It's fabulous. And do go to either or both Duke's and the Royal Hawaiian for mai-tais.

As others have mentioned, there is so much more to O'ahu than just Waikiki (and yes, Waikiki is a great place to hang out, walk the beach, and have fun too). Pali Lookout has beautiful views; the Iolani Palace tour is well worth the time; a drive around the island is good, and you can stop at any place that looks interesting; Hanauma Bay for snorkeling (although if the surf is down, Shark's Cove on the north shore is my favorite); the Dole plantation for frozen pineapple whip; Chinatown for beautiful (and inexpensive) flower leis and a bite to eat (I can't remember the place to eat that all the locals keep mentioning, sorry); Bishop Museum if you're museum buffs...there is much more.

Do get to Pearl Harbor as early as you can as the day's tix can be gone by 11:00 am. You might consider a tour over to the USS Missouri. It's fascinating; DH and I have been there twice. There is also the Bowfin by the Pearl Harbor memorial buildings. (You can get tour tix for the Missouri there. There is an entrance fee for both the Bowfin and the Missouri.)

I suggest you get the book "Oahu Revealed" from the Revealed series. All of the books are excellent, IMO.

Have a wonderful time and aloha.

beachchick

Archived