Is this doable in Kona?

VikkiGarcia

We will be in Kona from 7am-7pm on Oct. 1. We planned on renting a car and exploring a bit of the big isle. I thought we would drive hwy190 up to Waimea, hwy 250 to Hawi them circle around by driving down the coast. How many hours of driving is this? Is this a good route? Is there anything along the way that is a "must stop" for? We did not plan to to any hiking at this stop. Are there any hikes near Kona that would be better than this car trip? Thanks for all the advice!!

Yes, I believe that this is a reasonable drive in the time you have. Highways 190 and 250 are far above sea level so the views are incredible. When you get to Hawi, take a right on 270 and drive all the way to where it ends. You will have a beautiful view of a very rugged coastline at the point where the road ends (a view similar to Kauai’s famous Na Pali coast in my opinion). Toyota (I believe) filmed a TV commercial at this exact spot, and my wife and I remembered it the second it was aired a couple years after we visited there; must have left an impression!

I would recommend a car trip vs. hiking (but, I am not a hiker), there is too much to see on the Big Island to stay in one small area.

The drive you describe, excluding stopping, should take about 2-1/2 hours.

I'd recommend lunch at the Pavilion at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel on Hwy. 19 on the return. It's expensive, but then again everything is expensive in Hawaii.

Archived