Moto Rental in Santorini,good idea?

Hello,

I am going on a med cruise in June with a stop in Santorini. I plan on doing my own excursions. I came across a website that rents motorcycles, and scooters. Price seems right and they will drop them off anywhere on the island for pickup. I have never been there so I am not really sure what I am in for. I ride bikes in the states so I am not really worried about my skills. I am just not sure of the enviornment and the surroundings. So for the people that have been there...do you think this is a good way to explore the island? How are the roads? Easy to navigate, much traffic? Crazy drivers? Has anyone done this before or do you know of any senic roads/ routes, must-see's, etc. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

Mike, We rented a scooter for 10 euros a day and toured the island, that included helmets and insurance. We put 2 euros in gas in. It was wonderful. It is easy to get around and the roads were good. They will give you a map with the suggested places to see. The views are awesome. We saw the Black & Red beach, Light House, drove to Acient Thira & Akrotiri,(closed on Monday ), Oia and the fishing village below it and still had shopping time before boarding ship. We were just there in April, hardly any traffic then. We would do the scooter again for sure. Lots of fun. We took the cable car up and down. Some did ride the donkeys. Santorini is one of the most beautiful places we have ever seen. We have pictures on web page of Santorini if you are interested [url="http://santorinigreece@www.************/SantoriniGreece/shoebox.msnw?albumlist=2"]Santorini[/url] You will love Santorini!!!!

[url="http://santorinigreece@www.************/SantoriniGreece"]Santorini[/url]
Try this the other did not work. You can email us if it still doesnt work. [email]hartle2@aol.com[/email]

Thanks for info Dianne. Sounds like you had a great time[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Question, where exactly is the Port located on Santorini? The rental company wants to know where they should meet me to pick up the bikes. I would like them to drop them off right at the port, but I do not know the location? The rental company [url="http://www.santorinicarrentals.com"]http://www.santorinicarrentals.com[/url] is located in Oia. Is this near the port? Thanks!

Mike

DianneH I was not able to open the link. I too will be in Santorini in June (19th) and have considered renting the moto, it seems like such a cheap way to get around. unlike Mike though, I have no experience riding (except for a bicycle). Did you knwo how to ride when yo got there?? Is it necessary. It is my first time in Santorini (Europe for thwt matter), is it a problem maneuvering around the island?? thanks for your help!

Carmendmum,
my husband and I had never ridden a motorscooter before, just bicycles too. We rented a scooter in Barbados and had a great time. My husband first tried riding solo a couple of laps, then I got on and off we went. I am interested in DianneH's response about traffic and navigating around. I wonder which side of the road you ride on.
Beth

Carmen, I am on Celebrity, however, I am sailing June 2nd from Barcelona, so when my trip ends, your journey begins[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I was just speaking to a friend who has been and he said that he thought it was difficult to find the beaches and easy to get lost. I don't see how difficult it can be and sometimes getting lost is half the fun when your somewhere you have never been. Dianne, what is your opinion about this? Thanks.

Mike

We tendered into Fira and took the cable car up to the town. You can also ride donkeys up.
After we got off the cable car we walked to the main road and went where we saw another couple getting their bike. It was called Tour Ancient Thira. Rentals are abundant there. These guys were great. Very friendly and informative. They gave us a map and highlight the sites to see and it was very easy to get around. We thought. We covered most of the island. Ancient Fira & Akrotiri, the lighthouse, Red &Black Beach, Caldera View, Oia, and the little fishing village below Oia. The views are just awesome. It is one of the most beautiful places we have ever been. We ride motorcycles but I opted to ride with him there as it was more cozy and social. We were able to talk as we rode. We had a fantastic time. We did not get lost, but just went exploring. If you stick to the map you will be fine. Once you get to the Red Beach, you have to walk, its a pretty good hike over rock bluffs, but it was worth it. You will see in the pics how unique it is. You drive on the right side like in the states. We had brand new Peugot Trekkers, they are automatic and easy to ride. They have storage under the seat that locks and the bike locks while you are touring off of them. Feel free to email me with any questions and I will help if I can. [email]hartle2@aol.com[/email] You will love Santorini, the Med cruise is so wonderful. I will try the link again. Hope this helps you with planning.[url="http://groups.msn.com/SantoriniGreece"]Santorini[/url]

It will depend on where your ship tenders to. There are two places. Fira as I descibed and something else, I forget the name. The people that we on the ships tours tendered there, as that was accessable by car. At Fira you have to go UP to the town by cable or donkey. Some folks did do the donkeys and enjoyed it. Some said it was too long and stinky... [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]we opted for the fast way up. Dianne

We learned enough to get by, and took some books with us. Altho, the places we visited were very "americanized". There was never a language barrier. Generally, people at any place of business could speak some english. We found that people in every port we visited to be friendly and helpful to us Americans. Seems that most of the business people had at one time visited NY or had relatives there, so we had something in common to talk about. I can not wait to do it again!!

Dianne,

I have been visiting some websites for moto/scooter rental and most say you need an international driver's license. One in peticular says "For scooter or motorcycle rental, the driving license for the specific vehicles is indispensable.", whatever that means. Were you able to just use your regular drivers licence, or do you have an "international" drivers licence? Maybe it is this just typical website disclaimer? Thanks.

Mike

We just used our US license. Ron has a motocycle license as well, so we did not have to purchase the additional insurance (5 euro).
I don't know about the other rentals. We also rented a car in Olympia Greece and did not need the international license, actually we did not even have our license with us that day. Just a copy of our passport. Hope this helps.

We just returned from Greece. Oia is not near where you will get off of the tender.
We climbed the 'donkey trail' (the line for the lift was too long a wait), then went right and over tothe Hertz office. Rented a car for 40 Euros for the whole day (including tax and insurance), and put 5 E in the tank.
We enjoyed the car because we could carry (and lock up) the stuff we bought shopping during the day.
DO go northwest to Oia. It's a beautiful town and it's where all the postcard photos seem to have been taken. Thia is fun, but more touristy.
Akritiri (the dig) was closed. See the museum in Thira where the stuff dug up is displayed.
Make sure you allow a few extra minutes to get down the lift so that you don't miss your ship's sailing!
You'll love Santorini!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&prgb=32CD32&cdt=2004;04;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Archived