Porthole Stateroom

flpelicana

Has anyone ever stayed in a Porthole Stateroom? We are thinking of booking our first cruise, and didn't want to pay a lot for a room that we didn't think we'd be in much, but I think it would be weird to not see outside at all... at least for the first cruise. I was wondering if it was worth the little window. I was also concerned about them being in the front of the ship and seasickness. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks! :cool:

[font=Arial Black]Hi, and welcome to the board. Yep, I've stayed in a cabin with a porthole, three cabins from the front of the ship. I felt no more motion there than in any midship cabin. It was really nice being at the front of the ship with virtually no noise from the hallway. The only noise I heard was when we anchored at the ports (when they dropped anchor), and even that was very brief, and I was awake already. [/font]

[font=Arial Black]I have been in inside cabins and ocean view w/picture window, but the porthole is just fine w/me.....I just found I need to be able to see outside when I wake up.:D Some cabins have one, and some have two. [/font]

We were upgraded to a porthole cabin on the Paradise last week (we booked an inside guarantee.) At first I was a little apprehensive about being at the front of the ship (we were the 4th cabin from the front) but it turns out I "loved" our cabin!!!

As already mentioned, there is no traffic going back and forth by your cabin so it is very quiet "except" when docking. We needed to be up early on those days to get to our tours anyway so it wasn't a problem.

Having only cruised once before in an inside cabin I didn't think a window was really such a big deal...after all we are mainly in the cabin just to sleep at night. Now that I've had the window I don't think I would want to go back to the inside cabin!! Just being able to check the weather and see daylight each morning was so nice.

I don't know about other ships, but on the Paradise, the portholes were "recessed" into the side of the ship forming a large "ledge" under the window. This area was probably about 3' by 4' and was easily large enough to sit in. One morning I got up early and was trying not to wake my husband so I crawled up in there and just watched the ocean go by. I even pulled the curtains so it was like my own little private "hiding place"!

But...the biggest advantage for us was that my husband is a scuba diver and would come back to the ship at each port with all of his equipment that had to be dried out before it was packed away. This ledge was the perfect place for him to do this...it was "plastic" so the water didn't hurt it at all. I don't know how or where he would have done this in a regular cabin.

One funny note...our friends were in the cabin next to ours and had a flying fish that had landed in their porthole cabin and died. He stayed there all week long!!

[quote name='mathgal']
One funny note...our friends were in the cabin next to ours and had a flying fish that had landed in their porthole cabin and died. He stayed there all week long!![/QUOTE]
[b].......Hmmm, the portholes don't open. So - how did the flying fish get into the cabin?:confused: [/b]

Oops...I should have said the fish was "in their porthole"...he wasn't inside the cabin. He was just laying outside the window. I don't really think they would have left a dead fish "inside" the cabin all week! LOL

The fish was there when we boarded the ship and it made me wonder....do those flying fish really get that high? Or was the ship in really rough waters the week before? We were on the Riviera Deck which is the lowest level of cabins but it is still a LONG way from the surface of the water.

[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=darkolivegreen][color=red]Mathgal[/color] ~ ;) Was wondering how they shared a cabin w/a dead fish all week. UGH. Yep, flying fish can go pretty high, and obviously one 'po little fishy got to that porthole.:rolleyes: I just don't know how in the world they looked at a dead fish all week when they looked out the porthole.:eek: [/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#556b2f][/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#556b2f][color=red]Nina[/color] ~ No, that was on the Holiday in September. I think you'll really enjoy being able to see out!! (I won't EVER consider an inside cabin again.) And, as someone else mentioned, there's a comfy, wide ledge to sit on. I ordered coffee from room service as soon as I woke up each morning (it was there in 5 min!) and I would have coffee on my little ledge and enjoy looking at the ocean. Nice. Very nice. Y'all are gonna LOVE cruising![/color][/size][/font][/b]

I'm just the opposite. My first cruise was in a balcony cabin. My wife and I were taking someone else's place in a group booking, so the cabins were already booked. While I LOVED the balcony, it became apparent to us as we booked future cruises, that we were seldom in the cabin, and when we were it was mostly to change clothes or sleep. With the difference in price we elected to go with Oceanview cabins on our next cruise. Then, when booking a last minute cruise, we decided to save money and go with an inside cabin. We found that it didn't bother us at all. It makes for great sleeping and, as I said, that's primarily what we do in the cabin. Depending on price differences, we will book inside cabins in the future.

on the Imagination and they were great. They are larger than the standard cabin and each actually had 2 portholes. They were quiet being at the end of the hall and very private. I would highly recommend them! :cool:

flpelicana
I booked a 4a gguar and got a porthole. If you dont care one way or another book a 4a and if you get upgrade -great. Dont put the amount out ahead of time for a porthole. It looks like most people dont book a porthole and these rms Carnival upgrades.

I'm glad the general consensus on porthole cabins is good. I just booked a 1A on Victory for July 17.

I'm flying solo and didn't want to spend $$$$.

So long as the flying fish don't visit, it should be great ;)

Archived