Bear Viewing: Katmai

tapia

A mosquito headnet. Pick up at sporting goods stores.

I am having serious trouble visualizing this. Do you sleep with it or wear it around? Is it like a hat? LOL~You're probably laughing at me at this point.

I am having serious trouble visualizing this. Do you sleep with it or wear it around? Is it like a hat? LOL~You're probably laughing at me at this point.

Yes, it is like hat. You wear it when you're outside, if the mosquitos are out.

Tapia :

My wife want me to tell You that if You have problems with mosquitoes bites You will need the net (only to go to the river or/and falls) and that You bring Shampoo ¡¡¡, they dont give any.

I dont like the net feeling, so I use a cap and put a lot of repelent on it, its not that bad for Your health and I also dont like to put a lot of repelent on my face.

Also use a long sleeve shirt or jacket and gloves. I tell You, this Katmai mosquitoes are serious.

Enjoy.

A hat? LOL

@mozart: Please thank your wife for me! I will bring Shampoo & Conditioner for my hair. Do a lot of people wear the net? Will I look VERY funny? Or just a little funny? LOL.

Do you have pictures?

I really didn't realize it was that serious! I will wear long sleves & gloves & pants & lotion myself up with repellent.

Sorry, no pictures with the net.

But a lot of people use it, You will not feel bad about it, some also use a full body net, that is a little fun to watch, but very good in that conditions.

There are two kinds, one only with only the net and other with a hat and a net, try www.BassPro.com, then search for mosquito net, they have a cheap one ($ 3.99) and very good (my wife use one like that) or when in Brooks Camp, they sell it in the shop, think it was about $ 9.99.

You are going to have a trip that will last forever.

I really didn't realize it was that serious! I will wear long sleves & gloves & pants & lotion myself up with repellent.

We were in both Brooks Falls and Hallo Bay on Katmai and used "Buzz Off" long sleeve shirts. We had absolutely no problem with mosquitos although others were bothered. Several of the staff also used "Buzz Off" clothing, hats, pants, socks, shirts. We did spray our exposed areas just as a precaution. These items can be purchased through several companies such as LLBean and Orvis (hope it is okay to say that).

If you are doing Brooks Falls, they actually sell the mosquito hat nets there so you don't need to worry about getting them before hand. A couple who flew with us from Anchorage bought them but never needed to use them.

If you are staying in the cabins you might want to consider a spray to use before going to bed as the pesky things buzz your ears at night! You will have a wonderful time.

We will be in Alaska in 10 days but not to see the bears...boohoo!!! Most of our time will be in the Kenai Peninsula area...primarily Homer, Seldovia, and Soldotna. We then spend several days in Anchorage for a special event. My DH is originally from Fairbanks so we get to Alaska quite often.

Have a great trip.

@LuvCrusin2: Thanks for telling me about Buzz Off--I guess I'll be using that. What is Orvis? I did a search & didn't come up with anything........

Do you use a certain spray before going to bed or just go with the same repellant as before?

Have fun in Alaska!

@Mozart: I'm glad I won't look too silly! Thanks for posting the links! I'm really excited!

@LuvCrusin2: Thanks for telling me about Buzz Off--I guess I'll be using that. What is Orvis? I did a search & didn't come up with anything........

Do you use a certain spray before going to bed or just go with the same repellant as before?

@Mozart: I'm glad I won't look too silly! Thanks for posting the links! I'm really excited!

Orvis is a store that carries lots of outdoor clothing...both for men and women. Here is a link: http://orvis.com/store/search_results.asp?release=3&offset=0&keyword=buzz%20off (I have the long sleeve T-shirt and a long sleeve shirt).

LLBean also has Buzz Off clothing. Here is a link to their site: http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/search?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&startRec=1&numWanted=20&loggedIn=0&page_type=&hotBG=0&searchTerms=buzz+off&Go.x=10&Go.y=8

You can also do a Google search for Buzz Off Clothing. The clothing retains the repellant through many washes and there is a spray you can purchase to replenish the repellant. Not sure where you get it but one of our guides got it, I believe, in Canada.

The spray we use is the mosquito spray for indoors that we use in Hawaii. I hate the critters buzzing my ears at night! We spray when we leave the cabin/tent/motel for dinner to avoid some of the fumes but you may need to use it again once you are inside. For additional spray, we use DEET on exposed part of our body. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

I just finished reading your blog. WOW. It has great amounts of information and wonderful pictures! I can't believe you were photographing mushrooms with a bear right by you!

You really have no other advice at all?

I love your pics too!

There is not really a separate policy to cover "bear viewing cancellation". You will need to buy a good trip insurance policy, with cancellation coverage. Katmailand won't be much help for trip insurance. They are an NPS concessionaire. Their business is not selling insurance. They may recommend a company, but you need to check the policies out yourself.

Try this. http://www.insuremytrip.com/

I like the Travelex Lite policy. I have had to make two bear viewing claims, one with CSA and one with Travelguard. CSA paid off within 3 weeks. Travelguard required a LOT of extra documentation.

I called and they recommended either Travelex Lite or a CSA policy. I'm a little confused about high one you are recommending. The CSA one is less money because of 'pre-existing conditions' which I don't have as well as it states "cancellations by tour operator."

Just wondering which one you used...........

Thank you!

I called and they recommended either Travelex Lite or a CSA policy. I'm a little confused about high one you are recommending. The CSA one is less money because of 'pre-existing conditions' which I don't have as well as it states "cancellations by tour operator."

Just wondering which one you used...........

Thank you!

I'm sorry, I really don't understand the question. CSA is less money because the coverage is SECONDARY. Means-if somehow you loose your baggage or more importantly, you have a medical claim (any reason-even including medical evacuation), you will have to file a claim with your own insurance-homeowner's for baggage or medical insurance, THEN CSA will pay anything NOT paid. A rip if you ask me. A claim on your homeowner's may mean increased costs for your home. A medical claim could increase your premium OR make you ineligible if you needed to change jobs.

I have been buying the Travelex Lite policy for all my travels. In fact, I just looked-I bought 9 Travelex Lite policies from August 2005 until today. It is PRIMARY coverage, it covers more, you can buy extra med evac insurance (VERY important to me as I travel for business to some really out of the way places) AND even though this is kind of morbid, it includes a small death benefit. If something happened while I am overseas, this small benefit would guarantee that my body is shipped home to the US, with no extra charges.

Hope this explains a little more. If I did not answer your question, feel free to ask again. And don't forget-pre exisiting conditions are not just for you-they cover parents, grandparents, etc. Any one have a chronic illness in your family-diabetes, COPD, asthma? Anyone have heart problems? Things to think about.

I'm sorry, I really don't understand the question. CSA is less money because the coverage is SECONDARY. Means-if somehow you loose your baggage or more importantly, you have a medical claim (any reason-even including medical evacuation), you will have to file a claim with your own insurance-homeowner's for baggage or medical insurance, THEN CSA will pay anything NOT paid. A rip if you ask me. A claim on your homeowner's may mean increased costs for your home. A medical claim could increase your premium OR make you ineligible if you needed to change jobs.

I have been buying the Travelex Lite policy for all my travels. In fact, I just looked-I bought 9 Travelex Lite policies from August 2005 until today. It is PRIMARY coverage, it covers more, you can buy extra med evac insurance (VERY important to me as I travel for business to some really out of the way places) AND even though this is kind of morbid, it includes a small death benefit. If something happened while I am overseas, this small benefit would guarantee that my body is shipped home to the US, with no extra charges.

Hope this explains a little more. If I did not answer your question, feel free to ask again. And don't forget-pre exisiting conditions are not just for you-they cover parents, grandparents, etc. Any one have a chronic illness in your family-diabetes, COPD, asthma? Anyone have heart problems? Things to think about.

Actually, that does really make a lot of sense to me! Thank you!!! I didn't realize that you had to make a claim on your homeowners to get anything! That's really odd. The woman didn't say ANYTHING like that. Actually, she was pushing them more. She told me Travelex wasn't as good because the wording was weird about cancelled trips. She said something like I would have to prove that another plane wouldn't be able to have gotten me there the same day and a whole bunch of other things....

What kinds of bear trips have you claimed? What did you have to prove?

Thank you very much for the response!

Actually, that does really make a lot of sense to me! Thank you!!! I didn't realize that you had to make a claim on your homeowners to get anything! That's really odd. The woman didn't say ANYTHING like that. Actually, she was pushing them more. She told me Travelex wasn't as good because the wording was weird about cancelled trips. She said something like I would have to prove that another plane wouldn't be able to have gotten me there the same day and a whole bunch of other things....

What kinds of bear trips have you claimed? What did you have to prove?

Thank you very much for the response!

First off, READ the fine print in all policies. And yes, if you can't fly to a bear viewing trip due to weather conditions (fog, wind, etc), most insurance policies require transport to be stopped for 24 hours, AT LEAST. Some require 48 hours of grounded aircraft. Please check. If you can't fly on day one and that is the ONLY day you can fly, you will probably NOT be reimbursed. Conditions must NOT allow flight for 24 hours. I did tell you to allow at least one extra day, just in case you couldn't go the day you originally planned.

1st cancellation-2 days in Homer, both days were very foggy and Andy (pilot for Homer Air) said NO GO. Could not get clearance to take off from Homer. That one was easy-sent in a letter on company letterhead, stating the facts, AND Hallo Bay's cancellation policy and payment was made within 3 weeks.

2nd cancellation-first day in Homer was foggy-no go. Second day in Homer was foggy early (before 9:00AM). After 9:00AM, Andy said we MIGHT be able to fly in an hour or two. Since this was a day bear viewing trip and I had booked an 8 hour trip, I didn't want to go if it was only going to be 5 hours or so. I not only had to get Andy's statement, but I had to get paperwork from air traffic control in Homer, stating what time they actually allowed flights to leave Homer that day. I also had to get DOT paperwork stating that Homer Air was an ICC/DOT carrier, regulated by the State of Alaska.

Thank goodness, I am in the logistics business and knew all the correct people to call for paperwork. After I produced what the insurance company wanted, they paid off fairly quickly. However, it took Travelguard over 6 weeks to decide what they really wanted. Again, I repeat, planes had to be on the ground OVER 24 hours. And since they could really fly the next day (within the 24 hour period), although with a shortened trip, I was really at risk that they would NOT pay off.

Sightseeing planes and specialty trips in Alaska are not on the radar for CSR reps at insurance companies. You really have to know all the rules and READ the fine print. But the medical evacuation from someplace like Alaska is ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY, unless it is part of your normal insurance policy. Medical evacuation is NOT covered under Medicare and a lot of US group health policies.

Wow, that is really helpful.

Thank you SO much. I do have more than 1 day scheduled :-) (not to worry!) But, I only have the lodge that one night........I wonder how that affects things.

I really appreciate it and will read ALL the fine print!

Archived