Question about charges

itsmeyetagain

I know that if you can afford to sail on QM2 you shouldn't be too worried about costs, but I do like to know what I'm likely to have to pay, and the website and brochure are really not very clear about these issues, so please can anyone answer any of the following questions???

Is there a charge for room service?

How much is the lowest priced wine at dinner?

What's the average cost of a half day trip?

Do any British travel agents offer any special deals/onboard credits for Cunard fly cruises?

Can anyone reccommend an agent?

Which airline do Cunard use to fly from Gatwick to New York or Miami??

Is it cheaper to book a hotel in New york through Cunard or do it independently?

Is it worth booking a night in Miami pre-cruise?

Thank you to anyone who takes the trouble to answer any of my questions :o

Only one answer I'm sorry,

There is no extra charge for room service (you've paid for it in the fare!) however, it would be polite to tip the steward who brings the tray.

Pepper (again, sorry I can't answer more).

We usually paid about $35-$40 for a bottle of wine. There were some bottles that were less and certainly a lot that cost more. We were satisfied with the selection but we're not wine conneisseurs... I feel that alcoholic drinks in general are pretty reasonably priced on the QM2.

Half-day trips: about $50-75 -- and my feeling is that they aren't great in general. We almost always hire a taxi to take us to the places of interest. You get more in, it's much more flexible, and definitely a more exciting and personal experience. Unless there's something really special that Cunard is offering by way of side-trips I wouldn't do it any other way.

We found it cheaper to book the hotel thru Cunard -- they got us some great prices that we weren't able to match by going direct.

If you are traveling any distance to get to an embarkation point, I would always recommend arriving a day early. Too many things can go wrong with travel these days -- from cancelled/delayed flights to lost luggage. If you're going to take the time and money for a special cruise, don't risk missing the boat!!

joy

As for the hotel in New York, definitely cheaper to book it yourself. However, you will NOT get the CUNARD transfer which they offer with the booking. That is the bad news. The good news is you may be better off to arrange with a limo company (yourself) to pick you up. The CUNARD transfers on buses have had a lot of complaints (slow service, poor equipment).

There is (so I understand) a line of limos waiting for unreserved customers but you will need to queue for this. But that is better than taking a taxi if you have a lot of luggage.

If you do use CUNARD to book the hotel, bear in mind that CUNARD will NOT notify the hotels of the bookings until two weeks before sailing so the hotel will have no record of your reservation before then. And CUNARD has been known to substitute hotels.

Bear in mind that CUNARD is now using the Red Hook terminal in Brooklyn which is not extremely far from Manhattan but still some distance -- in an area not known for its natural beauty!

I would say -- if you know New York having been there before, make the hotel and limo reservation yourself. Otherwise, for a first timer, probably better to pay the premium price that CUNARD charges for a hotel package and let them worry about the bookings and the transfers, but prepare yourself psychologically for a bus ride which may not be up to luxury standards and take longer than normally expected if it stops at a lot of hotels before reaching yours.

Both of you for your replies.

Still deciding whether or not to book. P&O is far from perfect but you know what you are going to get. Cunard is unknown to me and the reviews are very mixed...my husband is worried it might be a bit 'pompous', but I rather like the idea of sailing on the QM2....big waste of money if we don't like it though!!!

Both of you for your replies.

Still deciding whether or not to book. P&O is far from perfect but you know what you are going to get. Cunard is unknown to me and the reviews are very mixed...my husband is worried it might be a bit 'pompous', but I rather like the idea of sailing on the QM2....big waste of money if we don't like it though!!!

You will love QM2 - nothing like it on the seas!! The pompous lot are still having their love fest with QE2 so you won't find many onboard QM2 yet!!!! Cunard are streets ahead of P&O inspite of the shortcomings mentioned on this board (and personally, I have not had any worth mentioning!!)

If you enjoy P&O I think you will enjoy Cunard. It does attract a slightly different crowd. Perhaps a bit older on average and less likely to be up partying to the early hours, but certainly not snobbish or stand-offish. Basing my thoughts on QE2 'though. I have not sailed on QM2. Which ever agent you use for P&O should be fine for Cunard but it is probably worth shopping around to check the prices.

I should clarify something about the New York hotel -- since some think it is more economical to book through CUNARD.

I paid an extra US$ 400.00 for a one-night hotel package through CUNARD at the New York Hilton. However, the HILTON web site lists a room (advance payment, non-refundable) at US$ 269.00 for the same night.

That leaves a difference of $130.00 for the pleasure of having CUNARD do the booking and transfer you by bus. If you do it yourself, for $130.00 I feel sure you can get a limo from the ship to the hotel (and ride in luxury) plus you will need $45.00 (plus driver tip) for the transfer to the airport at the end of your stay.

So while you will probably spend about the same for the CUNARD booking, you will get only a bus transfer and CUNARD reserves the right to substitute a different hotel.

I did it through CUNARD (but have had second thoughts) -- I'm keeping the hotel booking (since I already paid CUNARD for it), but reserving a limo anyway so as not to have to queue for their bus and ride in less than luxury to Manhattan. Reason being -- why pay for a luxury cruise that includes a bus-ride? Which part of the phrase "a bus ride is not luxury transportation" does CUNARD not understand? I guess their profits motives have overtaken their better judgement.

One hopes that, due to recent customer complaints, CUNARD will revise this policy and come up with better transfer options.

But I cannot help wondering -- does CUNARD really expect their customers who booked the royal suite on the QM2 to ride a bus? Or are they accorded special treatment in the best British class-ridden tradition -- LOL?

I recall years ago travelling on a CUNARD ship and CUNARD transferred a member of the British nobility in a Rolls-Royce to a private check-in area at the pier. Fair enough, I guess, they probably paid a premium fare on CUNARD. Yet all cruises on CUNARD are supposed to be luxury items, according to CUNARD publicity.

Try *****.com as they offer incredible deals that oftentimes include shipboard credits. With our fee of $899 for a B-1 Balcony cabin we received $100 shipboard credit which amounted to a cost of $849 pp for our April 15 crossing. Keep in mind however, each person is assessed an $11.00 fee daily for various services including room service, maid service, etc. (Although additional tipping for great service is most appreciated).

Wine starts at $22.00 a bottle, (including a lovely Beaujolais), however there is a 15% gratuity to sales of alcohol. We found they had some very good ales at only $3.00 at the pool bar, (Pilsner stem on draft), which ran for about $4.00 a pint in the other bar/lounges. The JW Red Scotch was consistant at less than $4.00 a glass.

We found transportation to be much more reasonable by booking our own. We paid a $45.00 flat fee for Limo service from JFK Airport to Red Hook Terminal. ($30 from Manhattan to LGA on our return). Also, when disembarking in Southhampton, we found a "fun-fare" on National Coach for only 6BPS each to London whereas Cunard was offering similar service for $84.00 per person! :eek: (If that gives you an idea regarding the mark-up). Also, we did book our rooms on our own and were quite happy with the results.

Hope that helps.

Ladymacwilly

Archived