Montego Bay or Ocho Rios

tropicalcruiser

We're planning a Western Caribbean cruise for August and have it narrowed down to Royal Caribbean which stops in Ocho Rios, Georgetown, then Cozumel......OR Carnival which stops in Motego Bay, Grand Cayman, then Cozumel.

Any opinions on ports of calls? We're a pretty active couple and prefer the more adventurous shore excursions including diving/snorkeling, kayaking, atv/jeep/ sand-rail etc, white-water rafting. Not too interested in shopping and crowds, but enjoy cultural/ historical tours too as long as some adventure is mixed in. Love the rural areas and scenery.

So......Montego Bay or Ocho Rios?

and Georgetown or Grand Cayman?

How about the cruise lines? I've taken Carnival's Elation through the Mexican Riviera. How does Royal Caribbean compare to Carnival? I've heard its a little nicer and a little cleaner.

Would love to hear opinions or advice on this next cruise. Thanks!

Tanya

I will go with Royal Caribbean without thinking of the itineraries. Grand Cayman and Georgetown is the same thing. Even if you go to Montego Bay you can still take a tour to the Falls...I will definately go with Royal Caribbean...What ship are you taking ?? If its a Voyager class with RCCL you will love the ship... I don't like Carnival that much..

I would find a cruise that did not stop at Jamaica!!!! Both "Ochie" and "Mo Bay" are nothing but cess pools!!! The country has some very pretty places but the obnoxious residents just make the experience not worth it to me.If you must take a cruise that goes to Jamaica: "Just stay in the boat".

I would find a cruise that did not stop at Jamaica!!!! Both "Ochie" and "Mo Bay" are nothing but cess pools!!! The country has some very pretty places but the obnoxious residents just make the experience not worth it to me.If you must take a cruise that goes to Jamaica: "Just stay in the boat".

I put this in my delete, but dragged it out again to reply. Jamaica is not a cess pool. I find those words to be very harsh. It is not a rich country. There is poverty there. Some of the residents are desperate. However the crime per capita is much lower than in the US. The island is lovely. I don't suggest walking around on your own the first time you go, but a tour by a good guide is a wonderful way to spend the day.

I love Jamaica. It is my favorite port.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Joe I , Jamaica is a cesspool ! The island is full of a bunch of entitlement minded crooks that think tourist owe them a living. Harsh words ? Yes but its the plain truth. I was there last month and read numerous post here on CC about the good and bad of Ocho Rios. Unfortunately the bad outweighed the good.

As for the crime rate being lower than the US , show me the facts Nliedel . Back-up your statement with facts not wishfull thinking. I for one do not believe it ............ far from it .

I agree with Joe I , Jamaica is a cesspool ! The island is full of a bunch of entitlement minded crooks that think tourist owe them a living. Harsh words ? Yes but its the plain truth. I was there last month and read numerous post here on CC about the good and bad of Ocho Rios. Unfortunately the bad outweighed the good.

As for the crime rate being lower than the US , show me the facts Nliedel . Back-up your statement because I for one do not believe it ............ far from it .

My, aren't you a little ray of sunshine. You're dead wrong, but not love nor money will convince you.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country/jm/Crime

It's all there in black and white.

I don't claim it's perfect, but it's far from a cesspool.

It is a FACT Jamaica has a much higher murder and rape(the kind that scars you for life or ends your life type crime) per capita than the US. The US state with the highest murder rate per capita is Louisaiana , 13 per 100,000. Jamaica is 32 per 100,000 , so the fact is you are 2 1/2 times more likely to be murdered in Jamaica than in the highest murder rate state of Louisaiana .

Dead wrong ?? I don't think so !! And yes you are correct , love nor money will not convince me ........... only the facts will convince me. See for yourself !

http://www.benbest.com/lifeext/murder.html

It is a FACT Jamaica has a much higher murder and rape(the kind that scars you for life or ends your life type crime) per capita than the US. The US state with the highest murder rate per capita is Louisaiana , 13 per 100,000. Jamaica is 32 per 100,000 , so the fact is you are 2 1/2 times more likely to be murdered in Jamaica than in the highest murder rate state of Louisaiana .

Dead wrong ?? I don't think so !! And yes you are correct , love nor money will not convince me ........... only the facts will convince me. See for yourself !

http://www.benbest.com/lifeext/murder.html

Too bad the author of that piece did not mention where he got his information.

Some of the stats come from your link:rolleyes: LOLROF

The FACT remains , Jamaica has a much higher violent crime rate than the US .......... and thats a fact even from your source .

Another fact is my family and I did not feel safe while in Ocho Rios . Geeez I guess you want to argue that also .

Some of the stats come from your link:rolleyes: LOLROF

The FACT remains , Jamaica has a much higher violent crime rate than the US .......... and thats a fact even from your source .

Another fact is my family and I did not feel safe while in Ocho Rios . Geeez I guess you want to argue that also .

You don't feel safe, you don't feel safe. Why would I argue that? I feel 100% safe in Jamaica. I know where I can go and where I can't.

Archived