Georgetown or Grand Cayman?

tropicalcruiser

We're planning a Western Caribbean cruise for August and have it narrowed down to Royal Caribbean which stops in Ocho Rios, Georgetown, then Cozumel......OR Carnival which stops in Motego Bay, Grand Cayman, then Cozumel.

Any opinions on ports of calls? We're a pretty active couple and prefer the more adventurous shore excursions including diving/snorkeling, kayaking, atv/jeep/ sand-rail etc, white-water rafting. Not too interested in shopping and crowds, but enjoy cultural/ historical tours too as long as some adventure is mixed in. Love the rural areas and scenery.

So......Montego Bay or Ocho Rios?

and Georgetown or Grand Cayman?

How about the cruise lines? I've taken Carnival's Elation through the Mexican Riviera. How does Royal Caribbean compare to Carnival? I've heard its a little nicer and a little cleaner.

Would love to hear opinions or advice on this next cruise. Thanks!

Tanya

I've never been to MB, but I'd pick Ocho Rios over MB from just what I've read on the boards at CC.

Grand Cayman is a wonderful island...and has lots of snorkeling/scuba activities. You could also rent a car, and see the island. It's quite safe to do this. In Jamaica, don't do anything on your own...hire a guide, or do a ship excursion.

FYI, Georgetown is Grand Cayman. If it is your first time, I would recommend diving or snorkeling and doing the stingrays. Stingray City is amazing but it is best to go early in the morning.

I've only sailed on Royal Caribbean and had an amazing time. Their ships, especially their Radiance class, Voyager, and Freedom class are amazing with tons of things to do. So all other things being equal I would sail Royal Caribbean.

From what I've heard there are more things to do in Ocho Rios versus Montego Bay, but I would recommend you ask on the Jamaica board.

Archived