mid-August excursions

LDinCT

Really would like to do a dog sled (which port is that), but I've heard might not be possible in August? How about glacier by helicopter. Would hate to go to Alaska and not be able to do this stuff, because it was too warm. Any other issues with August weather. I've only been early June.

You can get up onto the glaciers in August, but depending on the warmth of the summer there may not be any dog sledding (Skagway, Juneau and Seward). That's because the dogs need a good layer of snow to run on - ice is too dangerous for them to run on and too rough for you to ride on.

If you want to get a real feel for what extreme-distance sled dog racing is like, Michelle Phillips just sent me her journal from this year's Yukon Quest - http://www.explorenorth.com/articles/yukon_quest-2006.html

Murray

From what I've read, even if your dog-sled excursion is cancelled, they will still take you on a helicopter flight(weather permitting.) The dog-sledding seems to run until late August-early September. Perhaps contact the vendors and ask about your chances at your sailing date? Temsco, Coastal, and Era all do the dogsledding I think.

Archived