Snuba vs. "Discover Scuba"

My hubby and I will be in Cozumel in about three weeks (YAY!) and we're trying to decide between snuba and a "discover scuba" excursion. Opinions on which is best?:rolleyes:

Personally, I'm a diver by the way, I think the discover scuba is the way to go. Both get you under the water but in snuba you'll be attached to a "huka hose" which is a long hose with a scuba regulator that runs to the surface with normally four other people. Even though they're usually 20 foot long, just being pulled one direction then another with other people is a pain in my opinion. Where as with the discover scuba, while there's additional training required, you have a greater sense of freedom under the water which means the world to me. Looking at what you want to look at, how you want to look at it (within the constraints of how far your dive master will let you venture off, which won't be far), brings a lot more enjoyment to the experience. Plus, though this isn't any type of certification, if you wish to later go on to get your diving certification, at least you'll have had some experience with the equipment (you use the same equipment in a discover scuba course as a certified diver, you're just limited on how much you can venture off, the depth you can go and what parts of the equipment you can manage). Anyway, I did several years of discover scuba courses before I got my certification and always enjoyed my experiences.

Hope this helped,

Randall

We were just in Cozumel at the beginning of April. The reefs have all been damaged by last years hurricane.

We went snorkelling and there was nothing to see. With Snuba, there would be nothing to see either, since you only go down 20 feet.

Not sure if the deeper reefs survived.

We did Snuba in Belize though and it was fantastic... good introduction to Scuba.

We were just in Cozumel at the beginning of April. The reefs have all been damaged by last years hurricane.

We went snorkelling and there was nothing to see. With Snuba, there would be nothing to see either, since you only go down 20 feet.

Not sure if the deeper reefs survived.

We did Snuba in Belize though and it was fantastic... good introduction to Scuba.

Well, we're planning to do the cave tubing in Belize so that won't work. What about Grand Cayman? Anyone know if the reefs there are in decent shape?

BTW, Karyn, who did you dive with in Cozumel and where did you dive? I've noticed that Eagle Ray divers offers both a shore dive and a reef dive (for the Discover Scuba excursion), so I wonder if we might could see more on the reef dive?

.... I've noticed that Eagle Ray divers offers both a shore dive and a reef dive (for the Discover Scuba excursion), so I wonder if we might could see more on the reef dive?
The boat dive will be a much better choice.

The near shore, shallow sites in Cozumel did take a lot of beating, but the shallow sites farther from shore, the ones you need a boat to get to are in much better condition, and the farther south you go, the better.

I'm sure that Karyn is accurately describing her experience snorkeling where ever she went in Cozumel, but that doesn't necessarily apply to the whole marine park. She might have just gone snorkeling from shore. In that case, I'd agree with her assessment of the conditions, but I would disagree with her is she is drawing the conclusion that all of Cozumel snorkeling is the same, with nothing to see.

I was there for a week in December and while I didn't snorkel, I did make a few dives and there was plenty for me to see.

You can see my December 2005 Cozumel Underwater photos in This Gallery

Grand Cayman would also be a good place for snuba. Little if any current (unlike Cozumel), good visibility, and warm water. Also less hurricane damage. They were pounded the year before Cozumel got hammered, so there has been an additional year of underwater "reconstruction".

I learned to dive 3 years ago and it was a great experience. I am not a good swimmer, so the toughest part of the entire lesson(s) was passing the initial swim test. I'm so glad I started diving. If you think you could be scared trying scuba, then at least do snuba. But if you don't think you'll be scared, then definitely go for intro scuba. You get much more.

I'll be going on Carnival Miracle in Aug. and have been researching. As bruce-r said, many people did report good diving and good snorkeling in Cozumel after the hurricane -- it depends on where you go. Cozumel remains one of the premier diving/snorkeling locations. I'm looking forward to going myself.

Thanks so much to everyone for the info. And thanks, especially to Bruce, for the photos. Those are terrific!!!

We have decided to book on the extended "Discover Scuba" tour with Eagle Ray divers. I think that will give us the shore experience we need, plus the reef dive that should allow us to get to see some great stuff!!!

I have always loved swimming, and, in fact, when I was small I taught myself to swim underwater. I've always thought I would be a natural for scuba, but, unfortunately, I do not live near the ocean, and I can't afford to go where there's good scuba spots very often. So I think this will be the perfect opportunity to see what I'm missing! We snorkled in Cozumel in 2000 and absolutely loved it! I can't wait to get even deeper.

We're planning to do the stingray tour (with Capt. Bryan) in Grand Cayman, and then we hope to do some shore snorkling there on our own. From what you said, Bruce, that should work out well, since the shore areas in Grand Cayman have had more time to recover.

Thanks again for the advice!

I learned to dive 3 years ago and it was a great experience. I am not a good swimmer, so the toughest part of the entire lesson(s) was passing the initial swim test. I'm so glad I started diving. If you think you could be scared trying scuba, then at least do snuba. But if you don't think you'll be scared, then definitely go for intro scuba. You get much more.

I'll be going on Carnival Miracle in Aug. and have been researching. As bruce-r said, many people did report good diving and good snorkeling in Cozumel after the hurricane -- it depends on where you go. Cozumel remains one of the premier diving/snorkeling locations. I'm looking forward to going myself.

I did a discover scuba dive on our cruise last year and loved it. I am going on Destiny in June and plan to do 2 more. Last week I took a discover scuba class at a dive shop here in town. I so want to take the whole class and get my certification but I am freaked out about those dive tables. Can you briefly explain to me how to use those dive tables? What type of questions are on the certification test regarding the dive tables? Is the test hard?

Jeleja

I wouldn't worry yourself too much over the dive tables - - they may appear at first glance to be very difficult to understand, but your instructor should take the time to thoroughly explain the theory behind the tables & after a bit of practice you'll get the hang of it. Then once you're certified, you can probably stick them in a drawer somewhere, because that's the last time you'll most likely ever use them. :D

Dive computers have virtually become the standard for recreational diving & I believe that some if not all of the certification agencies are including instruction in using a dive computer as part of open water certification. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the tables have gone the way of the slide rule, it's been a few years since I got certified!

The book learnin' part of the open water is not difficult, don't let that keep you from experiencing scuba!

I did a discover scuba dive on our cruise last year and loved it. I am going on Destiny in June and plan to do 2 more. Last week I took a discover scuba class at a dive shop here in town. I so want to take the whole class and get my certification but I am freaked out about those dive tables. Can you briefly explain to me how to use those dive tables? What type of questions are on the certification test regarding the dive tables? Is the test hard?

Hi,

I was always taught to use my tables (my dive instructor just filled out his 7,000th dive, all documented in log books with the table data filled out). Just so you know, the purpose of the tables are to minimize the level of nitrogen in your blood system resulting in what they call "no decompression limits". Basically you go to the top of the chart and get your closest max. depth, slide down the column to your time underwater and it gives you a pressure group, like a "P" group. Of course the longer underwater and the deeper the larger the pressure group or nitrogen built up in your blood system. If you're doing multiple dives, you then go to your pressure group, slide to the right until you get to your surface interval time (time between the first dive and the second) and slide down that column to get your new pressure group (the table assumes that as you're on the surface you will breath off nitrogen out of your system but normally unless you have a very large surface interval time, you will start your next dive with some "residue nitrogen" in your system that must be figured out. Actually, if you use the tables once twice, you can usually accomplish all this in 10 seconds or less so it's not a big part of your log book time. As far as letting the computer do it, there are a couple reasons to use the tables, computers can error out (especially if you are using enriched air, or nitrox and haven't set the computer for the proper oxygen level), batteries die, wrist computers can slip off your wrist underwater, etc. I hate to think I lose dive time because a machine had a problem. So I use my computer for backup of the tables (and to print off my dive profiles, though I haven't found a use for them except to fill up my log book). Anyway, hope this helps in understanding the value and use of the tables.

Randall

.... I am freaked out about those dive tables. Can you briefly explain to me how to use those dive tables? What type of questions are on the certification test regarding the dive tables? Is the test hard?

Honestly, don't freak out...it's much easier than it appears and your instructor will walk you through them. Although most people use a computer, which is more accurate than the tables, the tables are always a great 2nd line of defense for calculating how long you can safely dive. Take a breath....exhale....and relax....once your instructor explains it to you, it'll be like, "Oh! I got it!"

good luck to you!

The dive tables can look overwhelming at first. Those are things much easier explained in person interactively. Those tables are also approximations rounded up.

I had to work with both metric and imperial tables, and also saw in some places there's quite a bit of round up. They also assume you are at the deepest the whole time. That's why there's multi-level planning, which again assumes you are at the deepest of each level. That's why computers are great, it takes into account of the fluctuations.

Dive tables are important in the beginning to learn the physical limits of the human body. But in the beginning, a good instructor will keep you well within the limits (provided the student doesn't get wild), allowing you to get comfortable underwater. Then you'll begin to appreciate the underwater beauty ang begin to say wow.

OK..you all encouraged me (THANK YOU) and I signed up yesterday.

Spent last night reading through chapter 1 in my book and have to finish chapter 2 before class on Sunday. Should be through with the classwork by my June cruise so I am crossing my fingers that I pass and scheduling my checkout dives. Hopefully I will pass everything since I have scheduled my first 2 dives with Coki Beach Dive Club in St Thomas and am currently trying to work out the final 2 in Barbados.

Once again..thank you everyone for all the information!

Good for you. It's exciting to be working toward your OW certification.

After I got my 3 years ago I decided I want to keep diving. Just be careful, it can turn into an expensive hobby wanting to buy this piece or gear then the next, then camera, etc. Hey but it's something special and you'll enjoy doing it.

OK..you all encouraged me (THANK YOU) and I signed up yesterday.

Spent last night reading through chapter 1 in my book and have to finish chapter 2 before class on Sunday. Should be through with the classwork by my June cruise so I am crossing my fingers that I pass and scheduling my checkout dives. Hopefully I will pass everything since I have scheduled my first 2 dives with Coki Beach Dive Club in St Thomas and am currently trying to work out the final 2 in Barbados.

Once again..thank you everyone for all the information!

Hi,

Congratulations on your signing up! I'm sure you'll have a great time. As the other posters say, this is just the beginning. I've go through my OW, AOW and this weekend I did my first open water tests towards Rescue Diver certification. Let us know how you do on your dives.

Thanks,

Randall

Congrats! Always great to welcome a new diver into the family. :D

Diving has opened up a whole new world of travel experiences and introduced us to a whole new group of friends that we'd probably never otherwise have met. (Oh yes, it can definitely get expensive, but IMHO it's money well spent!)

Archived