Help...first Time In New York....

shedar

Hello everyone.... my husband and I are sailing on October 15th on the Dawn out of New York..... we have never been there and we are driving around 12 hours to get there..... I have the address for the cruise port ....I am hoping to get in one day early and get a hotel for one night..and enjoy the city before we cruise on the Sunday....Any suggestions on a cheap hotel near the port would be great.,... or any pointers for us first timers would be great... thank you to all who respond.....P.S We have been on 2 other cruises before this one...but we always have flown into Florida......

First off you will love the Dawn. I can't help with hotels as we only live 90 minutes to 2 hours away. I have never left my car there as the parking fee is really high. I can't remember for sure but it's $20-$25 per day. Downside to NYC parking.

I'm sure someone will post about where to stay. I would check on a hotel that MIGHT let you leave the car there while you cruise, not even sure if you can do that in NYC. Then just take a cab to the pier. If not make sure you budget the parking expense.

Check out Times Square and catch a Braodway show if you can. There's nothing like it.

Make sure you are on deck when you leave and return to the pier. There's nothing like see Ms. Liberty as you sail away.

Parking at the pier is about $18 per day. There is a weekly fee. It is very convenient. There is a website for NYC terminal but I cannot remember it. You should be able to find it through a search on the web. You need to give yourself a lot of extra time because the traffic is very heavy around the pier:mad:. I would suggest staying at the Marriott, either at times square if you can swing it or the Marriott in Queens which may be less money. Then park your car at the hotel and use mass transit or a taxi if your plan to visit Manhattan before or after your cruise.. Do not drive in the city. Tripadvisor.com may be able to assist you for looking at hotel reviews. We went on the Dawn and really enjoyed it.:) Have fun just give yourself a lot of time to get around.

Parking at the Pier is $24.00 per day. There are no hotels within NYC City(except at Kennedy Airport) that have deals that include parking for the duration of the cruise trip and very few that include parking in the hotel charge either for that Matter. There is a comfort inn close to the cruise terminal which is OK only for one night. But even this is not cheap. Leave your car at the hotel. Parking in Manhattan is difficult and expensive.

Go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art- go see a play(get the tickets from TKTS or try playbill on line)...Go take a ride on the Staten Island ferry(its free)....

thanks everyone who replied.... as I said my husband and i are going to be driving around 12 hours to get to new york.... if we decided to skip the night before the cruise in a hotel... what time do you suggest that we actually get to the ship the day that it departs.... I am just trying to determine what time we should leave the night before as we are going to be driving straight through...... and it leaves on a Sunday... so I am hoping that the usual rush hour traffic will not be as bad as if it were through the week... am I silly to think that it wont be as busy.... thanks for any responses....

....Any suggestions on a cheap hotel near the port would be great.,...

Understand that there is no such thing as a cheap hotel in NYC. If you get something around $200 a night you are ahead of the game. If you want something more affordable (less than $100 per night), you may have to stay in NJ or CT.

....Any suggestions on a cheap hotel near the port would be great.,...

As someone else noted, cheap is not easy to find here in NYC.

But I'll also add that there's no reason to stay near the port. There are few hotels in the area and there's nothing you'd want see, do or eat near there.

Manhattan is quite small, so find a nice hotel in your price range and since you'll be taking a taxi to the port. Does it really matter if the ride is $5 - $7. more that if you were near the port?

We dont have to be close to the port....we just something that is a reasonable price.... that is if we decide to go the day early.... and we wont be taking a cab to the port...we are driving our own vehicle down to New York......

thanks for that information... I will check it out... but I have a feeling that I wont be able to leave my car at the hotel... but Its worth a look into......thanks again.... Shelly

Archived