Diamondhead and Hanauma Bay

maxwellhouse106

We are staying pre cruise at the Marriott Waikiki and we are planning to go early one morning to hike Diamondhead and then would like to go to Hanauma Bay to snorkel. My question is which would be better 1) to take the bus or 2) to rent a car? My concerns are that we would need to rent the car the night before and then pay for parking at the hotel and possibly not be able to find parking at Hanauma Bay. I like the idea of the bus (cheaper) but what are other suggestions or ideas?

Hike Koko Head instead of Diamond Head. It's the same mountain Hanauma Bay is on, paved road up, very windy which is great to cool off. My opinion the view is actually a bit better than DH -- Koko crater, diamond head, hanauma bay, moanalua bay. The gate blocks cars but passable on foot. Careful of ankle twister potholes on the few flat areas. Look where cars turn into the bay from highway, the gate is 20 feet above right there. Since you are hiking there in morning there will be parking. You'll have to hike back up from lot but that's minor.

If you plan to snorkel at Hanauma - arrive early. The parking lot fills up fast and once it's full, the don't let you in until another car leaves. IMHO - I'd rent a car, snorkel in the morning then head to diamond head for the hike. Cars are pretty reasonable to rent for the day in Honolulu. You'll love snorkeling at Hanauma.....it's great. We've booked the Marriott also - and at least it's on the side of Waikiki headed toward Diamond Head and Hanauma Bay, so you'll save a little time in traffic.

Sandy

Archived