Back-to-back crossings

bronbeth

Hi -

I'm booked on back-to-back transatlanic crossings (May 17th and 23rd) aboard the QM2. I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help me with....

1) Can someone confirm that the dress code on crossings is 3 formal, 1 informal and 2 casual nights?

2) Do you settle the shipboard account at the end of each crossing or all at once?

3) How much time should I allow to travel back to Red Hook from Manhattan (it's a Tuesday afternoon)? What is the latest time I can re-board?

4) Am I likely to have problems getting a cab willing to take me to the port?

Thanks for any and all advice you can offer.

Beth

Beth,

1. Although other Cunarders have heard contradictory advise from various channels, transatlantics on QM2 are always:

First night - casual (tie and jacket not required)

Second night - formal

Third night - formal

Fourth night - informal

Fifth night - formal

Sixth night - casual

2. They will issue you your balance statement at the end of each leg of the crossing. Since you will have most likely filed your credit card with them, no formal account settling is required.

3. Do not know about Manhattan to Brooklyn logistics, but the ship typically leaves at 5 p.m. now, so you should be on no later than 4 p.m., which is when they do the safety drill.

4. Do not know about cab issues; you probably will not have problems getting a cab. A bigger unknown is how much traffic you might encounter on the way. For that reason, I would not cut it close.

Happy sailing. You will enjoy the back-to-back.

Paul

Legally, a New York taxi cannot refuse to take you anywhere within the city limits. Always get into the taxi before you tell the driver your destination. The Red Hook terminal (while not a chic district) is NOT exactly a strange destination for a taxi passenger.

If the taxi driver objects to your choice of where you want to go -- just ask them what their ID number and name is so you can report them to the Taxi Commission. That is usually quite enough to get them to stop trying to dissuage you from your choice of where you want to go. Also the passenger has the absolute right to have the radio turned off or on (her/her choice) and to select the station to be played. And, although you would probably not do so, you also have the right to select the route to be taken.

Due to NY traffic, you should be careful to allow plenty of time to get back to Red Hook. The last thing you want is to be stuck in traffic near Red Hook as you see the ship departing without you!!

This may be one of the times when it makes good sense to try to do a CUNARD arranged booking to visit New York -- if they offer such for back-to-back passengers. That way, the tour operator would be in contact with CUNARD if problems were encountered delaying the return transport to the ship.

Many thanks for the answers.

I will certainly plan to be back aboard early in New York - it would be dreadful to watch her sail without me!! I will also ask if Cunard have some arrangements for back-to-back passengers.

Thanks again for the information,

Beth

I've done both back to back and one way. No real difference, save that you have the option of a coach tour of Manhatten if you are doing a back to back, or no option - a mandatory tour to kill time on your way to the hotel - if you are going to a hotel booked through Cunard.

My experiences date from the QE2 in 2003/2004 and therefore might be out of date. One vital difference is that we were docking in Manhatten, so the journey in was more inpressive.

Given that I didn't have a balcony when I did it solo in 2003, I was on deck from about 5.00 am to the time we docked. I was exhausted - so I didn't want the tour I was press ganged on.

If I was doing a back to back now, I'd get up early for the entry to New York, then go back to bed for a bit and enjoy a very quiet ship and a nice lunch on board. But then I'm not a fan of New York.

Archived