Belize diving/snorkeling, one more option; see from air first

Middleager

We are going on Carnival Miracle Aug. 27 and I plan to go diving at every port. Wife may go snorkeling. I've been researching and so far found that there are only two dive ops at the Belize port.

Hugh Parkey is contracted with Carnival and will pick up (many) divers at the ship (i.e. no need to tender). It's very expensive, at $149/p thru Carnival.

http://www.belizediving.com/bzediveconnect/costs.html

The other choice would be Sea Sports at port. But if they don't have min. 4 divers they'll cancel They are cheaper but not by a lot, especially after adding up gear rental.

http://www.seasportsbelize.com/diving.html

Both of them apparently have good reputation. And diving in Belize is considered world class (same with snorkeling)

Well, I just found one more choice. This shop is not at Belize port. But rather they'll wait for you at the pier as you tender in, then take you to take a small plane to fly (1500', so fine for diving after) to San Pedro, Ambergris Caye. It's $145/p, includes flight and gear rental. There's a $10 park fee on top. But with this one you get to see from top the islands and reef system where you'll go diving/snorkeling.

http://www.ecotoursbelize.com/tours.html

I am seriously considering going with this third option with EcoTours. Being able to see the reef system from top and then dive it, sounds quite interesting. For snorkelers, it's more expensive than others, because of the flight, but then this is to Ambergris Caye.

If anyone had experience with this tour company or especially this diving package, would love to hear from you.

• 2 weeks later...

I got some more info.

Hugh Parkey, Carnival's contractor, picks up divers directly from the ship, then take you 10-12min. away to a private island to fit divers. From there it'll be 40-50min ride to Turneffe Atoll for diving. After that they take you back to the ship. They won't take you to Belize. If you want to go to Belize you'll need to tender in. HP uses big boats, so the long ride to Turneffe atoll will be more comfortable than on smaller boats.

Ecotours makes special arrangement with the pilot for the flight out to San Pedro, to fly into the reef then to San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. The regular flights fly directly to San Pedro, and sees the reef system to the east of Ambergris Caye. So this tour really does allow you to see over the Barrier reef that you'll be diving or snorkel in from the air.

After diving or snorkeling, you'll have some time, maybe to get some lunch, before taking the 1pm flight back to Belize municipal airport. So that does allow some time to look around Belize or to shop. For us, the last tender (Carnival Miracle) is at 2:30pm, so the timing allows you to see Belize and Ambergris Caye, and the barrier reef system, from air and sea.

Archived