Queens Grill Butler

castlewood

We just found out that for our upcoming QM2 transatlantic, we've been upgraded from a P1 to a Q5 cabin. We also found out that the Queens Grill cabins come with a "butler."

Is the butler essentially a glorified steward? Is it a one-to-one ration: butler to cabin? What sort of tasks does the butler do? Is room service ordered via the butler?

If anyone has any butler experiences or insights to share, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks very much.

One thing the butler will do -- if you wish -- is draw your bath. However, I've never asked the butler to do so, since I found it a bit pretentious. Still, for a passenger of a certain age, who perhaps need some assistance in everyday tasks, it makes it a luxury experience.

I feel sure the butler, if asked, will assist you in ordering room service. I was on a luxury train and the butler did this -- I just told him what I wanted and he arranged for it to be delivered to my sleeping car.

Other than that, perhaps ask him (or her) to assist you in unpacking or packing. If you are the type that likes to "plan your day" and it involves appointments on-board ship or making reservations for this and that -- why not review your day's schedule early on with the butler and ask him to arrange everything that needs arranging.

And I feel sure that your clothes will be pressed, just by asking -- or perhaps they will ask you.

Actually, if it were I, I would just be candid with the butler at the start of the cruise and ask what he/she can do. But you may not get the chance. If the butler knows his/her stuff, he/she will discreetly inform you what services you can avail yourself of.

Enjoy being spoiled and if in doubt, don't be afraid to ask. Part of their job, after all, is to respond to the passenger's needs, including questions about what the butler can or cannot do.

Probing a little deeper, are there any other differences between Princess Grill and Queens Grill? Here's what I know of:

1) Larger and more luxurious room with Queens Grill

2) Different dining room

3) Butler -- will the butler take care of laundry and pressing at no additional cost?

I think I have read that the following are available to all Grill passengers:

1) Concierge Lounge and services

2) Queens Grill Lounge for before dinner drinks

3) Similar food and service in PG and QG

I have to be missing some things .... are there more "soft" perks like priority embarkation/debarkation?

Not sure about the Mary, but on the Elizabeth it very much depends if you on the signal or sun decks or not.

You only have a butler in those suites.

But you get a priority for tenders - going out - and for disembarkation.

You don't get either in Q3/Q4/QG.

Archived