Carnival excursion.....help, please!

firstcruiserDB

Ok, I'm determined to finally make this decision TODAY!

I've read these boards for a long time now, and I've read many, many glowing reviews about various independent tour companies that visit the stingrays. I've read about how much better they are than the ships' excursion because the tours are smaller with more personal attention.

But.........what I've never read is a review from someone who actually did Carnival's "Stingray, Hell, and Turtle Farm" excursion. Other than lots of people, was this trip worth the money? Did you enjoy the experience as much as I've read from others who booked on their own?

DH and I cannot agree.....He wants to play it safe and go with the ship, I want to go with the smaller independent company (Don't ask me which one....I still have to figure that one out! Opinions on that would be welcomed, too!)

So......if you have been on Carnival's excursion (or know where I can find a thread about it....believe me, I've tried to search), please, please help me with this decision! I'll appreciate any and all responses!;)

First off, I am glad we did this through Carnival because there was a medical emergency on board and it screwed up the time for the ports, etc. Those with private excursions may or may not have been able to go. Ours was with Carnival and went just fine.

We LOVED this tour. We did Stingray City first, which surporised us and made for a nasty hair day for the rest of the tour, but it was well worth it. Our Carnival excursion was much smaller than the other boats that were there, so I disagree with the smaller, more personal part of the Carnival vs. private operator argument.

Next we went to HELL! This was cool, but just a short stop with a post office and souvenir place. The ladies in the souvenir shops were very nice. Our guide showed is the rock formations and about the spot, etc. I kind of fell behind and when I left the restrooms to get back on the bus, everyone was waiting for me. Well, when I got to the top step there was a very loud "Where the HELL were you?" from all of my fellow passengers! :p

Our next stop was the turtle farm. Again, very well done and our crowd was smaller than the other tours there. We got to hold the baby turtles. The big ones would hold us...they get HUGE! The place was re-done and moved across the street from its former spot due to being nearly wiped away by a storm.

Stop to stop our guide pointed out historical and novelty spots. We truly enjoyed this excursion. The guide even let us out at Senore Frogs instead of the dock.

This is a link to my pictures, check them out if you like!

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j81/Robinflannery/8765531-R1-048-22A.jpg

We have also done this very excursion through Carnival (last summer). It was decent, but I was not very impressed with the turtle farm or Hell. This summer we will be doing the stingray/snorkel tour with Capt Bryan's. To us, snorkeling is more exciting/enjoyable.

Archived