Omega and Tag Heuer watches

calij11

Hello,

I am going to St. Maarten at the end of june and was looking to buy a nice watch. I was wondering which shops would have these watches? And which shops would you reccommend. Also do they have e-mail addresses so I could possibly contact them to see if they would have certain models in stock. Thank you for your responses.

Thank you for your responses. Also if I am able to find a Tag Heuer watch on Amazon and other places in the US for around $2000, how much do you expect I would pay in St. Maarten?

Also, I have noticed all the stores sell gold and silver rings, but haven't heard much about platinum. Do they all in fact sell platinum too or just at apecific places? Thanks.

Most places do sell Platinum as well. You might want to try some of the bigger stores, for e.g. Ballerina Jewelers, Shivas & Trident, Joes jewelry, for a larger collection in platinum. my personal reccommendation would be Shoppers Haven (next to the catholic church) ask for Ken or Victor.

It would be tough to guesstimate the pricing for the Tag Watches, because;

1. They are an authorized retailer, and pricing is usually within a set range. (They can only go up or down so much)

2. Since they are 1 of 2 distributors, there isnt the incentive of competition for them to lower their prices.

3. It is a set and defined product, unlike other jewelry, where you can go and find something similar, if a different make, for a much lower or higher price, etc etc.

As far as pricing, your best to give them a call and inquire about a specific model No. Goldfinger - 011 (599) 542-4661.

I would think, that you could easily save on the sales tax you normally pay, and maybe get away with between 10 - 15% off the US suggested retail price.

Make sure that you get prices from authorized sellers of Tag and Omega watches in order to make a fair price comparison. Many of the great prices that you see on the internet are grey market. If you were to have a problem, the watch companies might not honor your warranty.

Several of our recent purchases from Shiva's/Trident have been in Platinum. I would think that other leading jewelers there would also offer Platinum.

For the watch, I agree with kris, but give considerable thought to the fact that there is no sales tax on St. Maarten, and for a $2,000 watch, that in itself would save us about $150 here in California.

For swatts1, these ARE authorised dealers. I think that Goldfinger is also authorized for Omega, as kris indicated.

Goldfinger would be your best option. If you are heading to the one near McDonalds you can ask for Danny. Great person to work with. My sister recently purchased a Tag from there, and she's really happy with it. They are authorized dealers and I'm sure you will find a price break in comparison to anywhere in the US.

• 2 weeks later...
mail it to yourself... or ask the merchant to do it for you... im sure he will be more than glad to...

I asked the question more as a reminder. It's common practice to have the merchant mail the documents. The real issue with customs is one of registering ALL items (such as jewelry, electronics, cameras, laptop computers, etc) BEFORE leaving the US. It's the responsibility of the traveller to demonstrate that goods brought into the US were previously purchased before leaving the US. This can be demonstrated with sales receipts, appraisals or a completed customs registration form that shows serial numbers etc. Just saying "I brought these items with me" doesn't cut it. But hey, if you're not questioned, you got lucky.

If the traveller is subjected to a detailed inspection, and cannot document the origin of the questionable item(s) the goods can be confiscated and the traveller subjected to a fine or "smuggler's prison"! :eek:

I talked to a fellow at the SFO airport who was having a VERY BAD day. He apparently "forgot" to declare a $10,000 diamond ring he had purchased while travelling outside the US. The ring was confiscated and he was fined something like $15,000. It took hours and hours to finally clear customs and he indicated a traveller HAS NO RIGHTS before clearing customs. It's a no mans land. Apparently it was extremely difficult getting funds to pay the fine while in the customs holding area.

Many folks just take a chance. :confused: And don't forget, there's a finder's fee to someone who tips off customs. Make sure you know your merchant!!!!

Wow, sounds like that guy was having a real bad day. When you declare items how much do you have to pay on it? Regular CA tax? So if I decalred a $2000 watch I would basically have to pay another 8 percent on top oif that? Thanks.

First off, there is a deductible "duty free" amount that you subtract from all purchases. Generally that might be about $1600 for a husband and wife. Any items over that amount are subject to duty. Although there are various duty categories, 4% might be a good number to think about.

So if you only purchased a $2000 watch, the duty would be 4% of $400 or $16. If you are a betting person, and didn't declare the watch, you would be making a $16 bet on a $2000 (plus penalty) amount at risk.

I don't mind paying 4% on $400 to $800 bucks. Better than risking the alternative. Also, where do you get this $1600 figure, as well as the 4%. Is there a good website that breaks this down and describes specifics? Thanks again.

I don't mind paying 4% on $400 to $800 bucks. Better than risking the alternative. Also, where do you get this $1600 figure, as well as the 4%. Is there a good website that breaks this down and describes specifics? Thanks again.

Go here for the rules on duty free exemptions. The 4% figure is my rule-of-thumb on duty. There's a huge U.S. Customs schedule of duties. Go here for the complete list.

But since I am buying all my stuff in St. Maarten won't I only be allowed 800 because the other 800 has to be bought in St. Thomas? Or are you adding the 800 for myself and the 800 for my wife? Hope I am not confusing you. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

So I guess the next cruise I go on I will have to locate all the reciepts for the jewelry we have accumulated over the last 10 years. Not very realistic.

I have been out of the country many times and have never had to prove where I bought something.

So I guess the next cruise I go on I will have to locate all the reciepts for the jewelry we have accumulated over the last 10 years. Not very realistic.

I have been out of the country many times and have never had to prove where I bought something.

A person can smuggle in all sorts of stuff and most of the time the customs people just waive you thru. But IF your number comes up they can really put the screws to you. And at that instance, they might chose to enforce every aspect of the code. And it's not a matter of telling it to the judge and getting a slap on the wrists. The customs dudes are the judge and jury and you have no rights when you're outside the US trying to get in. It's not like a $60 speeding ticket. They just confiscate the goods and hit you with a serious fine.

Wear it and it's all a calculated risk. How much do you want to risk?

Archived