Celebrity Summit - 5/20 Sailing Cancelled

MuiR

Claude g: wonderful post!

I understand that the passengers on board are upset but they are getting a $200 OBC, which is a lot more than what we received on the Sun Princess this past February when we missed two ports. They reported the problem was with the high winds (Gale Force 8 at times) and high waves (reported to be 7-13 feet). We were late getting into St. Thomas because of a propulsion problem, although I don't think anyone missed their shore excursion. The only compensation we received was the refund of port and government charges and two free drinks. Some of us on the Sun questionned the reasoning for not going to Princess Cays - was it really because of the high waves or was it because they knew they needed the extra time to get home because of the propulsion problem. Either way, passengers have to realize that Mother Nature and mechanical problems can come up at any time and you should try to take it all in stride. Remember, you are on vacation.

I do, however, feel sorry for those people whose May 20th cruise has been cancelled. You were looking forward to a vacation, now you have to postpone it. Look on the bright side - from what I've read you are getting two cruises for the price of one. Enjoy them both!

This is not meant to sound like I am complaing becuase I am very happy with our outcome. But, we have been looking at our future cruise options and because we got this cruise at a cheap price (lucky us) now when we are looking for new ones they are all double what we paid for the second leg. It still works well for us though because we will basically pay what we did now for a cruise at a later date.

Gee--my husband and I sure don't feel as if we've been treated generously. We booked B2B cruises on Summit. While the first, cancelled leg was compensated, we were forced to either pay a 50% cancellation fee for the second, or accept an immediate rebooking to avoid losing our money. Trouble is, my husband has no more time off to allow him to use it.

Our "Celebrity Treatment" means that I will have to go alone on the rebooked trip, and that I won't have the amenities I paid for on the second leg--a Sky Suite.

We're having to accept a far less desirable trip that only one of us can enjoy--and we're very unhappy that Celebrity refused all of our other proposals to rectify the situation.

We chose to try Celebrity based on word of mouth from other cruisers. You can bet that we will add our experience to those conversations from this point out.

:eek: :eek:

:( Good evening,

That's a perfect exemple of how the media can twist and distort facts, specially when egged along by '' an amateur cruiser who writes reviews ''.

While nobody denies the annoyances and frustrations triggered by a mechanical episode, FACTS should be kept straight when reporting on the issue, sometimes at the cost of an otherwise jazzy story...

** The trip is not a 13 day sailing to Sitka with a stop in Seattle-- it is a 13 day sailing from LosAngeles to Vancouver with stops in SanFransisco, Seattle, Ketchikan,Juneau, Skagway, a visit to Hubbard Glacier, Sitka, sailing thru the inside passage, Vistoria, before ultimate disembarkation in Vancouver.

** The current sailing is still 13 days.

** two stops, (Seattle & Sitka) have been removed from the original itinerary. The issueing of US$200.00 OBC to compensate is standard procedure in similar circumstances;; the presence of an amateur cruise reviewer should not be a licence to turn those facts into a fault.

**The total transportation, and its accessorial services, are still provided by Celebrity

**Talk of '' passengers being held hostage'' is truly irresponsible and represents a ridiculous diversion from the real facts and only serves to feed the odd ambulance chasers still lurking around.

Let's not lose sight of the real facts: problem discovered with a radial thrust bearing==reaction==solution;; none of these issues can ever be solved with everybody being 100% satisfied; ship slowed to allow current journey to be continued with minimal amendements;; drydock arranged in Victoria for arrival mid-evening 20th May; repairs lined-up;;future cruise passengers being compensated more than generously....

Let's all keep a cool head...and still empathize with those guests currently affected.

Cheers

CG

;)

Rather than getting all wound up over a post that is simply a link to a news story that I had nothing to do about (rather just providing the link as an FYI), why not accept the fact that it has happened and will happen again, possibly on this ship, perhaps on another.

Sorry for winding you up... I'll go back to NCL now, it's a bit friendlier there.:confused:

:confused: Good evening,

My comments were directed at the article writer and the person on board who gave her his story, not at you.

Quite the opposite; thanks are owed to you for posting it.

If I improperly worded my comments in such a manner as to offend you personally, my apologies.

As you say, you had nothing to do with the article itself, and all that '' mutiny'' stuff triggered by a few people on board.

Cheers

CG

;)

:eek: :eek: Rather than getting all wound up over a post that is simply a link to a news story that I had nothing to do about (rather just providing the link as an FYI), why not accept the fact that it has happened and will happen again, possibly on this ship, perhaps on another.

Sorry for winding you up... I'll go back to NCL now, it's a bit friendlier there.:confused:

We were booked on a cancelled Summit cruise for the same problem in 2004. They fully refunded our cruise price and gave a certificate to our travel agent to reb-book another cruise. But, if you pick another Alaska cruise like we did, you are entitled to the same category you had booked before even if the price changes. The price changed dramatically for us and we still got the same category. We had originally booked a CC category and they wanted to give us a lower category, but they ended up sticking to it and we got our category CC as we had originally. If you pick the same itinerary, it shouldn't affect your airfare as you can usually rebook the same airfare within a year if you are using the same itinerary, but you will have to pay any fare difference, of course, this is if you had booked the airfare on your own. Not sure how they handle it if you booked through the cruise line. Probably works out a lot better for you.

Hello Poolwife

We had booked our own airfare (for six of us) at a very good discounted rate for the canceled cruise so when plans changed we had to pay the "considerable" difference between the two fares. Rebooking fee was covered but it was still a lot more.

But that is ok.... as we basically had a free vacation with the refund plus looking forward to our cruise on June 10th where we did get our CC as before but got even better cabins as had a good choice at that time reservations were made.

How did you enjoy your trip? What was your favorite excursion?

Joan

Archived