very claustrophobic!!!

nalady98

I'd really love to at least try the "snuba" thing, but am really claustrophobic. Anyone got any ideas about this? I just feel like I'm missing out if I don't try it. Will they work with me till I'm comfortable? Can I come up asap if I decise I need to??? LOL !!!!!!! Any and all replies welcome.

Thanx,

Martha:cool:

OK, first things first, what triggers your claustrophobia? Have you ever worn a dive mask? Or gone snorkeling? If you can do those things, you should be able to snuba. In snuba you have a regulator which goes in your mouth and has a long hose attached to a tank which floats on the surface. The breathing is pretty normal, but the air is not free flowing since there is a valve in the regulator. When you inhale, the valvle opens and air flows in, when you stop inhaling or when you exhale, the valve closes and no air flows in. It could be somewhat of a shock for someone with EXTREME claustrophobia problems.

Mike

OK, first things first, what triggers your claustrophobia? Have you ever worn a dive mask? Or gone snorkeling? If you can do those things, you should be able to snuba. In snuba you have a regulator which goes in your mouth and has a long hose attached to a tank which floats on the surface. The breathing is pretty normal, but the air is not free flowing since there is a valve in the regulator. When you inhale, the valvle opens and air flows in, when you stop inhaling or when you exhale, the valve closes and no air flows in. It could be somewhat of a shock for someone with EXTREME claustrophobia problems.

Mike

Thanks Mike for the reply. I have snorkled before, even tho I loved it I did feel a bit panicky now and then. Not sure what triggers it tho. I think I can do this, I want to really bad.

Martha

If you can snorkel, then you can do this. With snuba you only go down 20 or 30 feet. Just remember to relax and breathe. Never hold your breath. You will be fine.

Mike

Thanks sgain, I can't wait to try it now, just breathe, breathe, breathe..............LOL !:cool:

Martha

Hi Martha,

I'm not qualified to diagnose your claustrophobia but I know that I've snorkeled with a lot of new snorkelers before and they've expressed their fears heighten when they get water in their snorkel and it reduces a good airflow or they get asperated (water into their nose or mouth when they're breathing). The good news is a regulator normally keeps the water out of your mouth. Since it's hooked to a compressor and delivers air at "surface" pressure, it's much more normal, and dryer, to snuba than snorkel. If you have problems with the limited visability of the mask, I'd suggest you go to a local dive store and see what they offer. A lot of today's dive masks have almost full visibility so you don't get that "tunnel" vision that gives a more enclosed feeling. Also the visibility of the water will help as well, if the water is crystal clear, there's not that sense of vertigo that comes from not seeing the bottom. Anyway, hope some of this makes sense and hope you can have fun in trying snuba.

Hope this helped,

Randall

Thanks for the very re-assuring reply. What you said really makes sense. I've decided definitely to "snuba" this trip. I bet this will become a whole new obsession for me after the firt time , watch and sea.:p

Martha :cool:

Thanks Mike for the reply. I have snorkled before, even tho I loved it I did feel a bit panicky now and then. Not sure what triggers it tho. I think I can do this, I want to really bad.

Martha

Had the same problem when I snorkeled. Forgot to breathe through my mouth and the tiniest inhale through the nose made the mask seal tighter, got no air, panic response and my head came up out of the water. Was worried about it happening during a dive - never has. In fact, diving has cured my snorkel anxiety. You'll find breathing off a regulator so much easier than pulling air through a snorkel. Have fun with the snuba and then you'll be ready to give 'real' diving a try, LOL.

Hi Martha,

I have some good news for you, a solution might be easier than you think. My wife also felt claustrophobic when she first tried to snorkle. What didn't dawn on us was the mask...it was mine. The most important piece and we didn't even think about it. Well, it his us when she went to buy her own and she loved the style without the middle part...its just clear all across. She didn't feel claustrophobic in the pool when she tried it. Now, she dives with the Cressi Big Eyes, which have even a greater view and she loves them.

So I would recommend visiting your local dive shop and try some different masks. It may be all you need.

Have a great trip.

Archived