departure city not available?????

Trying to research our next cruise today. :rolleyes:

I went to the Carnival site to check out current pricing - and availability with and without air, just for comparison. When I chose 'Pittsburgh' as my departure city a message came up saying that my departure city was not available for this sailing.

I called my PVP to ask, because it just seemed weird :o . He says that Pittsburgh is not shown as an option - but that Harrisburg is!!! :confused: I do not understand why Harrisburg - a regional airport - would be available and Pittsburgh - an international airport - would not. :eek: Not that I am considering driving to Harrisburg - because that is just NOT an option in February because it is 5 hours away and the weather can be way too iffy in February.

I just do not get it.....it does not make sense to me. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance :)

Could it be that Carnival is getting a much better air deal through the Harrisburg air flights?

We always book seperate and get a much better deal, this year we saved $1400 booking air & hotel on our own.

Carnival wanted $650 pp (flight for 5 & hotel)

we payed $1840 (flight for 5, 2 nights hotel & transfers)

In todays world of Air Tran, Jet Blue and Southwest cant you just do your air on your own. Just go a day early and "RELAX" it vacation. Dont try rushing down on the day of the cruise. "RELAX"

The cruiselines use bulk air from different cities. A couple things may be at work here...one, the airlines have not have their bulk fares for February from Pittsburgh yet. The other may be the major airline (US I believe) is not giving bulk from that city. The third, which I doubt , is that all the bulk from Pittsburgh may have sold out. You may want to keep watching for the air to appear.

In todays world of Air Tran, Jet Blue and Southwest cant you just do your air on your own. Just go a day early and "RELAX" it vacation. Dont try rushing down on the day of the cruise. "RELAX"

Sure, and that may be what happens in the end.

But I like to get all of the info together and compare it before making a decision. So, today I was just trying to find out the "final cost" for the cruise including air, port charges and taxes.

I just thought it was really weird that they are saying that as of today - flying out of Pittsburgh is not an option. Last year when we went to Miami the same week to go on the Triumph there was a full plane - non stop - both ways between Carnival and RCI and NCL cruises going out of Miami.

Just weird....that all :rolleyes:

The cruiselines use bulk air from different cities. A couple things may be at work here...one, the airlines have not have their bulk fares for February from Pittsburgh yet. The other may be the major airline (US I believe) is not giving bulk from that city. The third, which I doubt , is that all the bulk from Pittsburgh may have sold out. You may want to keep watching for the air to appear.

Yeah, I'll keep looking. This is a few weeks earlier than we booked last year for the Triumph so maybe the bulk purchase is part of it.

I'm also going to watch all of the other "low cost" carriers - Airtran, Southwest, USA 3000, etc. There is plenty of time to get it figured out.

I guess more than anything I just wondered under what circumstance this may have happened to others.

Archived