QM2 Crew member killed in attack

maximpact

There's something about Cunard and Norway....a year or so back a QE2 crew member was arrested there for assaulting another crew member.....and I see the ever uptodate BBC still has the QM2 as the world's largest 'cruise' ship - not according to http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/4967876.stm

Peter

The beeb have now removed any mention of "largest" or "biggest" from the on line news report, merely giving her overall size.

Pepper.

Yes some editor must have decided that it was in poor taste to discuss the size of the ship that had nothing to do with the death. Hmmm sounds like someone esle should consider whether a discussion of liner or cruise ship was also an appropriate discussion, since the issue is the death.

A close friend of mine has his parents aboard, they have said (in a garbled message to him) that the staff and officers aboard acted very professionaly after the attack. Wild rumours were doing the rounds at one time. Many are trying to get back to normal. The cruise continues.

The BBC news site has again changed it's text (expanded yet again) and also its picture caption. No sign yet of "doomed, ill fated Queen Mary 2" but wait til the sunday papers arrive....

Pepper.

Yes some editor must have decided that it was in poor taste to discuss the size of the ship that had nothing to do with the death. Hmmm sounds like someone esle should consider whether a discussion of liner or cruise ship was also an appropriate discussion, since the issue is the death.

The most recent version (16.06 GMT) still refers to the size of the QM2....'one of the world's largest'...and the issue was not 'liner' or 'cruise ship' - but the accuracy of the BBC's reporting. Here's last year's QE2 incident in Norway:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/4593925.stm

As Bollinge says, tragic though this is, even in small towns this can happen too....one murder (if that is what this turns out to be, as so far we have an alleged assault) in 2.5 years of service is still a lower rate than Washington DC......

Peter

So does anyone know of his station? I mean, was he someone a passenger might know, such as a steward or waiter or bartender. I realize most Phillipinos are more liekly to be regular crewmen, and not the above.

Hmm, Maybe the lady in 6065 needs to make room and turn that cabin into a double!

Karie,

who agrees it is not sensational to happen in such close quarters, though it is unusual for the public to hear about it. The way people are worked and their hours, One could hardly have time to get in a fight.

I keep thinking of the man's famiy back home. How awful for them. I also read a lot previously about cruise lines and what they do or don't do, in taking care of the survivors- especially if someone is killled in the line of duty. When it is the line's negligence, the families don't usually have the menas to hire lawyers and such. Often that crew member is the sole bred winner for a large family.

Hmm, Maybe the lady in 6065 needs to make room and turn that cabin into a double!

Karie.

I fear that the lady in 6065 will have to continue to pay the single supplement as the crewman injured in a fight on board was well clear of the ship when, sadly, he died on the way to a hospital in Holland.

Archived