QM2 - Self Service Laundrette

Haze

We are booked on a transatlantic crossing Sept 24th/06 on QM2.

Can anyone let us know if there is a self service laundrette on board?

We prefer to use one if it is available.

Thank-you so much. As we get closer to the date, hopefully we can make arrangements to meet. I think there will be a few more cruise critics on board as I have been on the Meet on board portion. We live in Ontario Canada but are meeting friends on board from California and we are really looking forward to that. It will be two more people to meet with.

Thanks again for the info. We do not have our cabin number yet but have the category so it does narrow down the deck if you look at the deck plan.

I think we will be on deck 4 just looking at the deck plan and the In Hull balcony that we have booked so a laundrette on deck 4 is great.

The other great thing is they provide laundry detergent free of charge. This may be standard procedure for the cruise industry but since I have only been on two cruises my experience is very limited.

I will be on the same crossing 9/24/06 with my Mom & Dad. We have booked a P2 accommodation. Are room assignment is starboard but after reading this board which recommend port side for westbound crossings my Mom called our TA to request a new room assignment port side but was told no availability so we are # 5 on the wait list.

I wonder if this is an indication that the ship is fully booked.

Patrick:

Fridns of ours were able to get a booking last Thursday for this crossing. However, there was no chiice of availability. They were given an obstructed view room. so I think it is not quite full as of yet but anything really good is gone. We have an in hull balcony room which was bnooked in January.

We will look forward to arrnaging to meet on board.

• 2 weeks later...

It was so nice to have the self-service laundry on board! We were on deck 6--we had 4 washers, 4 dryers and two irons with boards. They provided soap, but not fabric softener sheets, so bring some along!

Be careful when you use the laudry detergent provided by the ship.

I made the mistake of opening up the plastic the soap was wrapped in, and when I put my clothes in the dryer, I wound up with purple streaks on a new terry cloth jogging suit.

When I spoke to some other passengers, they had the same problem.

After learning of my mistake, I just put the soap packet in the washer, leaving the plastic wrap in tact (the plastic disolves) and didn't get any more streaks.

Maria

The laundry also gets very busy towards the end of the sailing, of course, so wash as you go if you can as there was a line on the 2nd to last day of our sailing, never mind the last day, so I said "forget it". We were on deck 8. I didn't want to travel all over the ship to find washers. There are only 2 washers and dryers on deck 8 to my knowledge and they have specific hours. Don't know why they can't leave them open 24 hours, but they don't, at least on QM2. My room steward said that the best time to do laundry when it's busy like that is between 1 and 3 PM . Seems it's less busy then. Didn't try it as I gave up, but just an FYI. And, my laundry bag was stolen on top of that when I did do laundry. So don't leave anything in there when you're not.

I did a load of laundry every day and it seemed to be busy most of the time. It was however, a great way to meet people.

If you take a piece of paper and write on it 'if you need to use the machine please put my clothes in here and set them aside' and stick that on a bag or laundry basket then you won't have to wait around for your clothes to finish washing or drying.

Hobbit

QM2 May 17th 2006

If you take a piece of paper and write on it 'if you need to use the machine please put my clothes in here and set them aside' and stick that on a bag or laundry basket then you won't have to wait around for your clothes to finish washing or drying.

Hobbit

QM2 May 17th 2006

LOL.

Now, that's a far better "cunning plan" than mine:

http://www.jackatsea.com/28jansummary.htm

After the cruise I received a very nice email from Commodore Warwick's son complimenting me on the blog and telling me about even more "laundry battle" stories. Apparently, one passenger was put off the ship after arguments over dryers!

In my experience most people using the laundry were female, an incredibly practical, helpful and good humoured bunch of people (from ALL nations) who appreciated my "3 minute dress shirt ironing demonstration". On one memorable occasion I was upstaged by a retired US Marine officer. He not only beat my 3 minutes, but he also put in sweat creases!!

Hmmm... paid over £250 per person per day for a 5 star cruise covering 38 days and had some of the best >meet people< times in the laundry!!

Happy ironing

Jack

Wow, sorry you had such a bad experience with the dryer. My experience was that yes indeed, pretty much everybody was female and very nice about sharing the space. Everyone would check to make sure others' laundry was completely dry before taking it out of the dryer, and in fact set it for more time if still damp.

Hobbit

QM2 May 17th 2006

• 2 weeks later...

SOmething like that happened to me. I also came back early to find someone had taken my socks and underwear load out of the dryer before it would have stopped. I busted her in the act. I also was furious. She was folding it (!!!) as I entered the room. (You could not pay me to touch someone else's underwear). Upon inspection, I found a still damp sock. I forced her to remove her stuff from my dryer, I put my stuff back in and returned precisely when I should have. She was standing there waiting for me, but didn't say a word as I folded that load slower than I have ever folded anything in my entire life. :D My husband laughed his butt off and said it was elderly abuse (she was at LEAST 20 years older than me), but I won and it felt damn good!

Archived