What exactly happens on an inaugural??

Hey everyone! My family and I are booked for the inaugural(meaning paying lol) cruise on freedom for june 4th. Anyways we were just wondeirng if anything different happens on an inaugural such as when the ship goes for the first time to each of its ports.Are there any cermonies or anything special that happens because ive noticed on other ships they have plaques commemorating the first time the ship came to each port. In general just asking what to expect or is the inaugural just going to be like any other cruise only the ship is probli alot cleaner lol

Often times port fireboats will welcome new ships with the water cannons, sometimes with colored water. In the larger ports news helicopters and boats will "buzz" the ship. Some ships will have inaugural books for first time passsengers. We received nice, hardbound books on the Carnival Elation in 1998. Be sure and be on the top deck after boarding the ship and watch for these activities. Pictures and movies of this are nice momentos. There should be reminders of the inaugural on the ship ie banners, etc. Momentos can be purchased stating the inaugural cruise (sometimes stating "inaugural season"). I have not noticed any special ceremonies on the ports. Be sure and ask at the pursers desk and/or the cruise director to see if any special things are planned. The paperwork you find in your cabin should tell if if anything exciting is planned. Have a great time!!! Nothing like the first cruise on a ship, especially one as famous and exciting as FOS !!!

I had to unfortunately turn down an invite for the two day inaugural sailing of my choice on the FOS due to prohibitive flight costs to get to one of the ports offered. Some of my co-workers are on her right now.

Oh well. Maybe next time.

Enjoy your cruise on the FOS.

I feel your pain Mr. Cruise. I am going this weekend, but as I waited to hear if I was confirmed my airfare kept rising and rising. The cruise may be a great deal, but my airfare was nearly $400 for the weekend trip. Ugh. I am still looking forward to seeing the new ship. Sorry it was cost prohibitive for you to attend.

Archived