Dawn Specialty Restaurants - Favorites?

goldesq

I am thinking of booking 2 or 3 but cannot decide. Help me. What are your top 2 or 3 favorites? I see that they offer discounts if you book them when you first get on board for certain nights. I am steering clear of Cagneys because I really do think NYC has top steakhouses and I am not a huge meat eater in the summertime. I wanted to try something different like Salsas and Bistro. NCL's site claims Bistro is Mediterranean.....what specifically do they have there? I would love to see the art work in Le Bistro if the food is good. Heard there are some nice original pieces.

I would recommend Le Bistro and Teppanyaki. I would also have recommended Cagney's but it seems that you've already eliminated that. Le Bistro serves a wonderful mushroom soup, an excellent filet mignon, and a scrumptious chocolate fondue. Teppanyaki provides a fun food-preparation show and the entrees are delicious. I don't care much for the miso soup or the selection of desserts in Teppanyaki but others that I have dined with disagree with me.

Le Bistro is a must for my DW & I. If you like sushi, on sea days they do (or at least did) $10 all you can eat sushi for lunch. They have a really cool sushi bar. It has a conveyor belt w/ the pieces on it. Just take what you want as it floats by. They will also make pieces by request if they don't have what you want on it. The teppanyaki is fun like the previous poster said but I find there are Japanese restaurants by me (Rockland County, NY) that give a much better presentation, however, the food tastes great.

I enjoyed salsa too (don't think there is a cover for this one).

I tried the Italian one once. It was OK, but I feel about the Italian as you do re steaks, in NY there are great restaurants serving it so it's hard to match. If I remember correctly the Dawn has a "NY Deli" @ the buffet during lunch. I use to work in an authentic Italian deli & this was a deli in name only. But I don't blame the people working there, they don't know any better. My wife & I were kidding w/ one another & said the food director should take the employees who work the deli off the boat when they dock in NY & bring them to a city deli so they can see how it's done.

Have a great time.

We have always had great affection for Salsa. Not only the unique food and dessert but also the ambiance. We always get a table along the rail above the atrium, under the beautiful stained glass ceiling where we can hear the delightful music from the piano or the performing trio. We always have our final dinner on the Dawn at Salsa, a fitting farewell to a wonderful ship.

I am thinking of booking 2 or 3 but cannot decide. Help me. What are your top 2 or 3 favorites? I see that they offer discounts if you book them when you first get on board for certain nights. I am steering clear of Cagneys because I really do think NYC has top steakhouses and I am not a huge meat eater in the summertime. I wanted to try something different like Salsas and Bistro. NCL's site claims Bistro is Mediterranean.....what specifically do they have there? I would love to see the art work in Le Bistro if the food is good. Heard there are some nice original pieces.

Salsas was our favorite on the Dawn.

Le Bistro was great, but noisy. Salsas was really good and no cover charge. Tratoria was also quite good, especially dessert. In fact one night after a really awful dinner at the Oriental restaurant, we went up to the Tratoria and asked if we could come in just for dessert and an expresso, and they seated us immediately.

Le Bistro is a must for my DW & I. If you like sushi, on sea days they do (or at least did) $10 all you can eat sushi for lunch. They have a really cool sushi bar. It has a conveyor belt w/ the pieces on it. Just take what you want as it floats by. They will also make pieces by request if they don't have what you want on it. The teppanyaki is fun like the previous poster said but I find there are Japanese restaurants by me (Rockland County, NY) that give a much better presentation, however, the food tastes great.

I enjoyed salsa too (don't think there is a cover for this one).

I tried the Italian one once. It was OK, but I feel about the Italian as you do re steaks, in NY there are great restaurants serving it so it's hard to match. If I remember correctly the Dawn has a "NY Deli" @ the buffet during lunch. I use to work in an authentic Italian deli & this was a deli in name only. But I don't blame the people working there, they don't know any better. My wife & I were kidding w/ one another & said the food director should take the employees who work the deli off the boat when they dock in NY & bring them to a city deli so they can see how it's done.

Have a great time.

I see that you're from Rockland County...Have you ever eaten at "Kinchleys?" I most likely destroyed the kings english with the spelling of that one...I love their pizza...It's been quite a few years since I've dined there as we bought a home in Orange County...only a 45 minute drive..but I don't usually make it down that way... BTW...how do you spell it? :)

We are fond of Salsa's, and Cagney's--the Cagney's lobster is SUPERB and I gather they do the steaks well (I don't eat steak). The Tappenyaki is OK but I'd avoid the sushi bar (the sushi brought to your table is OK) and I'd avoid the benihana. Le Bistro is a bit heavy but good. On the Dawn, take the time to look at the art work--It might sell at auction for the price of the ship--all originals. The Italian restaurant is also VERY good--and that comes from someone in the NY/NJ area where there are more Italian restaurants than McDonalds!

Don't neglect "Impressions"--it's a smallish DR but they run it VERY nicely.

Archived