Newark or Manhattan to Cape Liberty Port

Hi!

I got a really great last minute deal on Explorer for a June sailing. I have a question about getting to Bayonne (Cape Liberty) Port. I will be taking Amtrak to the area as I am from Boston. I am assuming its better to get off at Newark and take a cab than it is to get off at Penn Station in Manhattan. I did mapquest and it was quicker, but I want to double check with local folk!

Thanks!

You could do that, it would definately be cheaper that way. Another way would be to get off at NY Penn and transfer to NJ Transit and get off at the Seacacus stop to transfer to the airport monorail, which will take you directly to Newark airport which is about 10 minutes from the port. You could probably pick up a RCCL bus here too.

We were on the Freedom this week-end and, with much guidance from these boards, took the PATH from Manhattan (across the street from Penn station) to Hoboken and changed to the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail to Bayonne. We then took a cab a short distnace to the port. The two rail fares were a total of $3.25 and the cab was $8.00 plus tip. It was easy with luggage and pretty quick.

I used to commute into and out of NYC and the Path isn't across the street from Penn, its about a block away on 7th ave, then you walk about another block under ground to 6th ave where the Path comes in.

You can either take a cab (more direct but more $, probably about $30) or use the light rail (about $5). Light rail would require a short hop on a NJ Transit train to Hoboken, then take the Hudson-Bergen light rail to Bayonne - 34th street. There is usually a shuttle to the cruise terminal on cruise days, it's a short ride.

Here's the NJ Transit trip planner if you want to check it out - just use Penn Station in Newark (not NY, there is also a Penn Station in NY!) as your starting landmark, then 34th Street Light Rail as your ending landmark.

http://atisweb.njtransit.com/cgi-bin/itin_page.pl#TOP

Just wait the scoop in NJ is that port is about to get a major overhaul, the Walmart is on its way, And Hotels are just around the corner you will also be able to take the light rail to the new project Zanadu where there will be loads of stuff to do for a precruise stay. Look out NYC we are on our way in NJ. RCCL is starting great things in our Port Bayone thanks you. :D POLARISMOM

Just wait the scoop in NJ is that port is about to get a major overhaul, the Walmart is on its way, And Hotels are just around the corner you will also be able to take the light rail to the new project Zanadu where there will be loads of stuff to do for a precruise stay. Look out NYC we are on our way in NJ. RCCL is starting great things in our Port Bayone thanks you. :D POLARISMOM

The whole area is in the beginning stages of a well-deserved revitalization - not that it's a horrible place to begin with, it just needs some spiffing-up. They can say what they want about NJ, but it's a great place and highly underrated. I'm not ashamed to say that I've lived here all my life :p

I used to commute into and out of NYC and the Path isn't across the street from Penn, its about a block away on 7th ave, then you walk about another block under ground to 6th ave where the Path comes in.

Sorry if I gave any wrong info. I was told by two people at our hotel that it was right across from Penn and we took a cab there so I assumed I was across the street though I didn't actually look for Penn Station. We entered through the Manhattan Mall so we could use the elevator with our luggage and did not walk far at all underground. Easy trip with luggage.

Archived