is this a good goal to set...

I am trying to lose 2-3 lbs. a week instead of saying a total of 50-60 lbs.(the smaller # makes it seem easier)Is this a good goal?

I am 5'2 and starting weight was 160:eek: (heaviest I've ever been-UGH!)today I weigh 150 YEAH!!!I would like to get down to what I use to be(before kids,when I smoked-bad habbit,before I was married)I use to be around 100-105 lbs.-I believe that is a healthy weight for my height.I am planning on going on a cruise in Jan. so I figure if I could lose 2-3 lbs a week I would make it.Is this unrealistic and is it healthy?

One and half to two pounds a week is a reasonable goal. The slower you lose it the longer it typically stays off.

I am the same height so my goal is to get down to 120. Then, I am going take it real slow at that point. You also need to consider we carry our weight in different areas after having babies.

If you are exercising to achieve your goal, you muscle weighs more than fat, but takes up less space, so you could end up weighing more but fitting in smaller clothes. :p So perhaps a better goal would be to fit into a reasonable size and to be physically fit.

I agree with Deb - and I am the same height, too!

I currently weigh 158 (after losing 63 lbs). The jeans I have on now are a 12, & they're loose. I lost most of it between Sept '04 and Jan '06, & have pretty much maintained since then. I'm planning on getting back "in the swing" of losing in the next few weeks, as I up my exercise by being able to add bike riding again.

Losing 1-2 lbs / wk, on average, is a great pace. If you're building muscle (as you should be) while losing fat, there may even be some weeks where the scale will stay the same, but your clothes will feel looser. I haven't checked my measurements since January, but some stuff does feel looser, even tho the scale has stayed the same.

Pay more attention to your measurements & how your clothes fit than the number on the scale, & you may be pleasantly surprised at what size you get down to!

Check out this thread -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=343198 It starts out as advice to a young person who wants to lose before her cruise, but turns into a great discussion on perception of how "fat" we are vs how "fit" we are at certain weights.

BTW - my dr & I agreed that a reasonable goal for me would be 140-145, as long as I keep up the exercise regimen & the cholesterol & BP stay down.

Good luck & keep us posted!

Sha

Oh - and instead of making weekly weight goals consider making "fitness goals" - for example:

see how long it takes you to work up to 10 push ups

instead of walking a mile in 18 min - work on decreasing your time to 16 min

if you normally work out, say, 3x week for 30 min - add another day, or add another 10 minutes per day

try a new cardio machine at the gym, or a new class & stick with it for at least 1x wk for 4 weeks. If you like it - keep it in your schedule - if you don't, try a new one for 4 wks!

and even rewarding yourself with a non-food treat for every 10lbs lost is a small doable goal & you should be getting a treat every 6-8 weeks! (a pedicure, a new lipstick color, a more expensive body lotion.....)

Sha

I am trying to lose 2-3 lbs. a week instead of saying a total of 50-60 lbs.(the smaller # makes it seem easier)Is this a good goal?

I am 5'2 and starting weight was 160:eek: (heaviest I've ever been-UGH!)today I weigh 150 YEAH!!!I would like to get down to what I use to be(before kids,when I smoked-bad habbit,before I was married)I use to be around 100-105 lbs.-I believe that is a healthy weight for my height.I am planning on going on a cruise in Jan. so I figure if I could lose 2-3 lbs a week I would make it.Is this unrealistic and is it healthy?

I just ran the numbers, and I am concerned with your goal of losing two pounds per week.

Based on your height and weight of 5'3 and weight of 160 (I did not know your age so I guessed it at 40...but that is not very signifigant) and basing you on being sedentary (little exercise)

Your Basic Calories to maintain your current weight (no gail or loss) would be about 1855 calories per day.

To lose one pound a week, drop that total by 500 calories per day so to lose one pound you need to cut down to 1355 a day or two pounds 855 per day.

855 is getting close to starvation level and very dangerous.

Also..remember when you first start any diet, you will see incredible results the first couple of weeks, even losing that three pounds per week, but then, your metabolism begins to slow down and you get those plateaus we all hate to have.

I urge you to be careful and patient.

You did not put that weight on overnight, and you will not lose it overnight either.

Keep dreaming about that cruise...

and all the looks you will get when you go up to lie out by the pool!!!

JB

You just made the first step by deciding to change your lifestyle. Its easy for us to say don't look at the scale (we all look at the scale), but pick a pair of jeans, or a dress that is a LITTLE too tight today, exercise as much as possible, be careful about what you eat without being obsessive and in a month try the outfit on again. DO NOT TRY ON THE CLOTHES EVERYDAY!!! (not that I've ever done that) force yourself to wait a month. You will be pleased with what you see.

For me fitness was more important than looks. I was out of breath when I tried a basic 30 min cardio DVD and could only do 3 pushups, after only two months I feel like a new person, and I know that you will too.

I don't want to discourage you, but maybe your before the kids goal is too hard to make in the time you have. 2-3 pounds a weeks is hard to do and you'll plateau somewhere along the way...Remeber--clothes that are only a little tight, not the size zero you had when you were 18 years old!!!

Good luck.

I just ran the numbers, and I am concerned with your goal of losing two pounds per week.

Based on your height and weight of 5'3 and weight of 160 (I did not know your age so I guessed it at 40...but that is not very signifigant) and basing you on being sedentary (little exercise)

Your Basic Calories to maintain your current weight (no gail or loss) would be about 1855 calories per day.

To lose one pound a week, drop that total by 500 calories per day so to lose one pound you need to cut down to 1355 a day or two pounds 855 per day.

855 is getting close to starvation level and very dangerous.

Also..remember when you first start any diet, you will see incredible results the first couple of weeks, even losing that three pounds per week, but then, your metabolism begins to slow down and you get those plateaus we all hate to have.

I urge you to be careful and patient.

You did not put that weight on overnight, and you will not lose it overnight either.

Keep dreaming about that cruise...

and all the looks you will get when you go up to lie out by the pool!!!

JB

Thankyou for the advice.Here is my info on me...I'm 5'2- weigh 149lbs.- I am 32 yrs.old-I exercise almost everyday(LOVE it),I walk for at least 30 min. and jog for 10 min.(I do this at least 5 times a week)I am doing a little weights(about 2-3 times a week)-I have completey eliminated soda,I drink ALOT of water-almost eliminated sweets(but if I am craving something I will have it in moderation)-I really haven't been counting calories just watching what I eat-I have also told myself this is not a diet it is a lifestyle change.I will be careful and patient.I am just soooo happy of what I have accomplished so far.:D Thanks again

I have also told myself this is not a diet it is a lifestyle change.I will be careful and patient.I am just soooo happy of what I have accomplished so far.:D Thanks again

Now..that is the greatest attitude you can have.

And remember...be happy with what you have done so far.

11 pounds for you is a 8% reduction in weight!!!

(go to the store and find a 2 five pound bags of sugar...and hold them up and think...gee....this is what I have lost so far!!!!)

You cruise is 32 weeks away and you want to lose 39 lbs...

You can do it!!!

Archived