St. Croix

Cruise Cat

Just saw this St. Croix are sitting here just after the board conversion and since it had no posts in it, instead of showing the last thread on the ports screen, it said 'never'. Since I would not ever say 'never' to any port, I thought i would post something here.:)

We were there 10 days and had a blast. Never really any safety fears (not any more than anywhere else in the Carribbean). We even went on a cruise later specifically beacuse it called on this Island. Too bad it has gained a bad reputation. Eventually as beautiful as the island is, the ships will come back.

• 4 weeks later...

I see that MSC's ship the Opera is sailing to St. Croix. I've been seeing more and more info on this line and it intrigues me. I like the European flavour it says it offers. I hope I'll have the opportunity to try it out one day.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been to STX several times, once on a cruise, and since then three times for a week each time. When we were there a few months ago, we were told by locals that the lack of cruiseships is a political issue, and has little or nothing to do with crime... And, if you think about it, that makes sense, since there is plenty of crime in other ports. That said, Fredericksted is a creepy port.

The rest of the island is beyond wonderful; it's home to us... It's a shame the politicos and cruiselines can't agree to disagree; the lack of ships coming in has hurt the local economy to be sure. Locals we spoke with were very unhappy about it.

• 2 weeks later...

We lived on St. Croix for 12 years. Now in Florida. Yes, there have been crime issues but the same on Jamaica, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, etc. One needs to be careful and aware. I believe it's a lot to do with politics, too. New Government should be voted in this Fall and at this time a great deal of money is being poured into the island to fix it up and make it more welcoming. Anyway, North Shore diving and Buck Island snorkeling and wonderful golf courses. Love to go back and visit but glad we don't live there anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I are looking at a Christmas cruise in 2005 on RCCL Adventure, and it makes a stop in St. Croix. We've been there only once, but we loved it and are excited to go back. It beats going to St. Thomas for the zillionth time :)

• 4 months later...

Sailorgirl:

Why are you glad you no longer live in St Croix? We love the USVI but have never visited St Croix. I have been looking at Condos in USVI for rental/vacation and possibly, later to use for retirement. Prices are much more reasonable in St Croix than St Thomas (an St John of course). I've purchased the settlers book to USVI and have begun other research (not a spur of the moment decision here!). Just curious about input from someone who's really lived there. Are there certain condo areas that should be avoided? Thanks for any information.

• 1 month later...
My wife and I are looking at a Christmas cruise in 2005 on RCCL Adventure, and it makes a stop in St. Croix. We've been there only once, but we loved it and are excited to go back. It beats going to St. Thomas for the zillionth time :)

We have been to St. Croix when Carnival used to stop there (they now go to St. Martin instead.) We really enjoyed St. Croix - felt safe there. So much to see and do and not quite as commericalized as St. Thomas. I would go back there in a heartbeat!

• 1 month later...

I have lived on St. Croix for close to 3 years now - and I like it but I too will be glad when I return to the states to live. There are people who live here who wouldn't dream of leaving. I am just a city girl and miss the shopping and eating at the chain places. I sometimes long for going into the bank or McDonald's and being waited on in a timely fashion. But that is part of island life and you are either are fine with it or it begins to wear on you - which is where I am at now. Also, with kids, I feel like sometimes they are missing out on things. But at the same time some of the things they may be missing out on might be good, if you know what I mean. All in all though, I really can't complain. My kids will have had experiences that not many stateside kids get.

As far as places to avoid, hmmm. Of course there are plenty just like anywhere else. I don't particulary like what is referred to as condo row. Some nice condos are Gentle Winds, Schooner Bay, and Fort Augusta. These are mid priced - there are others, some getting quite pricey. Hope this is helpful.

Archived