Why not more onboard cameras?

georgeb

Why aren’t cruise lines installing more onboard cameras? With today’s technology they should be able to easily, and cheaply, cover and record all public areas and have cameras recording along the sides, back and front of ships. Granted this may not help anyone unless they are being monitored, but it might help answer question when people go missing.

I mean, there are two sides to this:

pro: Can help if someone goes missing or if a crime occurs.

con: "It's my vacation, I don't want there to be any physical proof of the ensuing debachery." or "Just another example of Big Brother coming into our lives.."

Personally, I don't care if they put up more cameras, I'm not doing anything I wouldn't mind caught on tape (outside my stateroom).

- Jess

Doesn't seem to help:

"A review of camera footage from Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas last showed Dipiero around 2:15 a.m. Monday on the fourth deck, leaning on a rail near the front of the ship"

Two reasons I can think of: 1) they do cost money, and would require a siginificant number to cover all public areas, and if you don't cover all, what is the point? 2) if you are a bad person and want to do something wrong, cameras are easily disabled

I could see doing a top-down look of the fore, aft, starboard and port side outside decks, but I don't know if the public areas cameras would fly with the additional cost, "big brother" conspiracy buffs, etc.

At the very least, they then could see someone do an assisted or unassisted swan dive off the ship, and help pinpoint the search area when an unfortunate event such as that occurs.

Doesn't seem to help:

"A review of camera footage from Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas last showed Dipiero around 2:15 a.m. Monday on the fourth deck, leaning on a rail near the front of the ship"

you have to wonder how many of thease are suicides and how many are to much to drink?

I for one don't want to be watched, not that I have anything to hide, just don't like being monitored.

You're being watch anyway. You're just not always aware of it. Cameras are on beaches, in hotels, in stores, the airport. Their there, you just don’t stop to look for them. Beside, once that ship pulls out, you're not in the US any more. Your rights to US freedoms are null and void.

As for the cost, when a ship cost $1 billion added a couple of 100k for security and PR isn’t much. And the cameras can be place where they cannot be access with someone seeing you do it.

Small price for a cruise line to be able to say, he/she jumped. Or to be able to say here’s the person that tossed them overboard.

Carnival's new job posting

Looking for job seakers who don't blink to watch 1000 cameras at a time.

'

Woops we found a place that wasn't covered. Need 1001 cameras.

I'll submit my resume if I get to monitor the one looking down on a certain deck that is mentioned quite frequently on this board;)

I'll submit my resume if I get to monitor the one looking down on a certain deck that is mentioned quite frequently on this board;)

No...you've been neutered...remember...:p

I seems to me that cameras were a big help in answering the questions for RCL, the FBI, and the family of the kid who went overboard. Otherwise everyone would still be questioning what, why, and how. RCL has CYA and the family has answers. Not good answers, but now they don't have to wonder what happened. Are cameras still a bad idea? I bet RCL doesn't think so.

Cameras are fine with me -- the more the better, as long as they're not in the cabins.

Concern about "giving up our freedoms" doesn't apply here, given that no reasonable person should have an expectation of privacy in a public area, and no one should ever feel "free" to do anything they want in a public place without being seen. Though I suppose it would be nice to let passengers know that all public areas are monitored, just as a courtesy. I mean, you might be less likely to adjust your wedgie or something while you're (supposedly) 'alone' in the elevator if you're aware that you might be on camera.

Archived