Diamond Head, Waikiki

lozzajelly

As we're coming from the UK we do not want to go down the hire car route so was just wondering the best and quickest way to get to Diamond Head, would like to do this early so we can go to the swap meet. We were thinking a taxi would be best but any idea on cost please???

Thanks,

Lozza

:rolleyes:

Certainly a taxi is an option, but traffic can be pretty bad in Honolulu, so that can get costly. Public transportation is a challenge, but it's cheap. Renting a car is probably the best option, the other would be to take an excursion that includes Diamond Head. Early morning is the best time as it can get really hot later in the day and you have to fight off the various tour groups. It can take two hours just to get up and down. Might I suggest the National Cemetary instead? The views are just as good as Diamong Head, it's in the city and has easy access. I found it to be the highlight of our trip, as well as very humbling and thankful that so many people were willing to sacrifice themselves. It really is a moving experience and incredibly beautiful.

Charlie

Last time I checked, The Bus (that's what they call it) stopped outside the crater and it was a bit of walk to the observation areas on the rim. Not bad if you're a 'walker' but might be too much if you're not used to it.

The vehicles from a city tour company (don't recall the name) went all the way to the car park inside the crater. Depending where you start out from I think a cab would be costly, and then there's the problem of the return.

Archived