Security of stuff while you snorkel?

:confused: How does everyone secure their $ and items on the excursion boat when they snorkel? I'm going on the Coral Reef/Stingray Safari excursion in GC.

I don't snorkel, so I'm just guessing, but there are waterproof containers you can just strap to your arm, leg or torso. They will certainly accommodate your cash and cards. You'd have your camera with you as well, so assuming you travel light, I can't imagine it's very likely that anyone would really want to steal anything else you might have to leave behind in the boat.

I got a pair of swimtrunks with a double zip lock pouch attached inside one of the pockets. Supposed to be waterproof - not even close. I ended up buying beers with soggy money all afternoon, then when I got back to the cabin, I washed it all in the sink and hit each bill with a blow dryer!

Moral of this story - don't necessarily trust something to be absolutely waterproof with anything that cannot take a bit (or more) of water.

A backpack or dry-bag would let you keep your stuff together, and keep the honest people honest. I'd say cash always goes in the water with you!

Archived