A few observations..just got off today from the Norwegian Odyssey

bonni99

Hi- thought I would post a few thoughts about our cruise to the Norwegian fjords aboard the QM2-we had a lovely relaxing time and were very lucky with the weather- glorious sunshine on leaving southampton and although a bit foggy coming back on the last day at sea we were very happy with the relatively clear skies and crisp but clear days in Norway!

The food was superb- as per our previous 3 times on the QM2- we recognise some of the same menus in the Britannia restaurant and what a shame that there was no hot souffle as a dessert option during the 6 nights but we really do rate the food on offer- the beef options in particular are very good.

Re formal v informal etc- we were rther surprised to have 3 casual and 3 formal- and no informal- must admit that other than the first night from when we got on my partner and I tend to treat casual as informal and dress up a bit more- my partner always wears a suit and I like something a bit more dressy- perhaps our own taste but for me half the fun is wearing something a bit dressy and having the opportunity to use my jewellery and handbags and shoes etc! On the formal nights themselves I was surprised to see so many not really following the dress code as outlined by Cunard- but we always love to dress up- I do wonder why people choose Cunard over other lines if they don't like a bit of glitz and glamour in the evenings? Just an opinion...

Re the entertainment- i think this is the weak point. As this was our 4th trip aboard- it was with great dismay that the two shows on offer were Rock at the Opera and Appasionata- the same shows offered to us on every trip and the same as May 2004- they really really need to think about changing them-surely they expect repeat visitors? One highlight was a first for the QM2- and it was a play put on by the RADA actors- a Noel Coward Play- called "Fallen Angels"- a comedy and it was superb- it was an hour a half long and was shown on a Sunday evening- it was funny and the actors and actresses were superb- it was a brilliant idea and really appeals to those of us who are not so keen on the usual "Saturday night at the Palladium" style variety offerings- more of this please Cunard! Other entertainment acts really did play to this variety theme- i personally would have preferred more musicians or solo artists- but maybe thats just me!

The Films on offer were a bit poor and I think that the stateroom TV needs to be changed- the same episodes of Charlies Angels and Home Improvement as was shown in december last year is enough to send anyone to sleep and sometimes it is nice to retire to the cabin for a rest particularly after a long lunch!

Service was great- as per another post- we had to change staterooms as ours was directly above the Theatre and allw e could hear was loud music during the afternoon rehearsals and the evening performances- very loud and reverberating- quite unbearable in fact! We were moved swiftly and although it was a hassle packing all out stuff up again a steward moved all our clothes that were on hangers and when we came back from dinner it was done- great!

If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them!

Sounds like you had fun. I think I posted a question on the end of another message. But I have MORE.:o

We'd like to bring our pretty-well-mannered-but-not-perfect kids (5 and 8) to dinner. Will they be welcome?

Do you know if the gift shop had wind-breakers? I KNOW this one is minute, but...

Last, we're right below the Queens Grill. Should we try and switch so we're not right beneath that den of noise?;)

Re your children I must confess to not seeing any children in the Britannia at dinnertime but that could simply be because they were well behaved and sat quitly at their tables! Other people may have a different perspective if they brought along their children. We did see lots of children in the Britannia for lunch though- and they had highchairs for them at the tables and on the whole even the little ones were pretty well behaved!

Re windcheaters- not sure- they did have a lot of logo apparel and on the last day they have a buy one get one free offer and boy was it busy!

Oh one other thing the giftstore now has a $10.00 item segment and I actually got a really cute little evening bag and a necklace in there- certainly was nice to be able to afford something and not to have to drool over the Hermes scarves and not buy!

Archived