Top Shelf Rum and Tequilla?

calij11

I would suggest a visit to the Ministry of Rum for some information gathering.

When we're on-island, my rum of choice is usually either:

1) Mount Gay Eclipse. My records show I paid $6.77 for a liter bottle. They have an Extra Old that you might consider.

2) Cruzan Estate Dark. Around $4.00/litre. They have a Single Barrel for your consideration.

You might consider a St. Maarten collectible, Rum Jumbie. It really has a following.

gary

Thanks for the replies. Yea I love patrón. It sounds like the bottle you are talking about is the patrón silver. They also have patrón gold and the platinum edition. I wonder how much those bad boys will go for. Ministry of Rum is a good site.

I don't remember which variety of Patron I saw, but the US price for that bottle was about $65-$70.

Another rum you CAN NOT buy in the US is Havana Club. The 7 year brand was about $8. Even though it's made in the Republic of Cuba, I had no problem with getting it thru US customs. Matter of fact, based on my experience customs could care less about liquor. I declare it all and am ready to pay duty, but never have they said a word.

I don't remember which variety of Patron I saw, but the US price for that bottle was about $65-$70.

Another rum you CAN NOT buy in the US is Havana Club. The 7 year brand was about $8. Even though it's made in the Republic of Cuba, I had no problem with getting it thru US customs. Matter of fact, based on my experience customs could care less about liquor. I declare it all and am ready to pay duty, but never have they said a word.

My thinking exactly. I was just going to buy what I wanted and be prepared to pay the duty on it. Kal, how many liters do you typically bring back with you?

I generally bring back 10 or more liters, none of which is manufactured in the US Virgin Islands. I believe the rule specifies 1 liter must be from the USVI in order to qualify for the higher limits. Otherwise it's something like 1 liter per person.

Also, I just specify the number of liters and not the brand name of the liquor.

I'd be glad to share some of my favorite fine spirit choices with you.

Tequila,

-Jose Cuervo 1800 Anejo, There is the regular JC 1800 Reposado which is okay, the Anejo which is 100% Agave is where its really at for a moderate price.

-Patron Anejo, another fantastic tequila, really great sipper also 100% Anejo.

-Cabo Wabo, one of the best you will ever have, really top shelf stuff, not as easy to come by though.

Aged Rum

-El Dorado 21, Probably one of the best aged rums you will EVER come across, not something you see often, and typically retails for about $75. The same comes in a in 18 and 12yrs.

-Havana Club 7, Higly Recommended, because you dont come across it in the states, and truly is a fantastic rum, even better considering the price. Almost a must with a fine cigar...

-Bacardi Select, Very good, ALMOST comprable to Havana Club 7, very dark rum, but a more subtle light flavor. You may not think much on your first drink, but its one of those that certainly leaves you with a bit of a craving.

-Captain Morgans Private Stock, Decent rum, inexpensive, worth a try, maybe the flavour suites you.

-Brugal Anejo, Another hiddem gem, and dirt cheap! I really mean dirt cheap, look for it and you wull see what I mean. Certainly could be my potential everyday drink if you could find the blody thing back home!

Everything I have mentioned I picked up on the reccommendations of my friend Juggie at Gift World on front street. When it comes to fine spirts I doubt you will find an even comparable collection ANYWHERE! Add to that his help and suggestions, you cant go wrong!

These are the only ones I can remember of the back of my head, but he has a ton more in his collection, particularly some XO's and VS's rums, that you do not find in the states.

He also stocks tons of products from smaller distileries in the caribbean, and a few aged St.Maarten rums... very cool stuff...

Also make sure you try all their flavored rum's for a kick, coconut, banana vanilla, guavaberry, mango, passion, etc etc etc.

Gift World has 2 locations, One on front street next to Passagrahn Hotel, which is about a 100 yards before the Guavaberry Emporium.

The other is in an alley opposite 'Little Switzerland', which is inbetween the Catholic Church and the Courhouse.

Ask for Juggie, DK or Rick, and tell em Kris says hi!

Glad you appreciated that list, if you decide to try something new, let me know how it goes, perhaps ill give it a shot next time im there.

Cheers!

That is a great list. Exactly what I was looking for. I'll have to check out Gift World. Where is it located on Front street?

I've priced liquor up and down Front Street, the latest being last week. Except for a few lost leaders here and there, the absolute lowest prices are at Caribbean Paradise (about 87 Front Street) diagonally across from McDonalds. In many situations they will match a lower competitor lost leader price.

The prices for Guavaberry Liquor are tightly controlled at about $15.95 per liter. I found Guavaberry at Ray's Jewelers (across the street from Caribbean Paradise) for $12.95 per liter. When I looked closely at the bottle the cap was slightly dented, but still in the original seal.

Will do Kris. I might branch out a little bit and try some different stuff. I will be sure to let you know. Since I will be checking out Little Switzerland, I will go to the Gift World near there. I will definitely get the Patron Platinum if they have it and probably the Patron Anejo. Is the Captain Morgan Private Stock a sipper as well or is it more of a shot/mixer drink?

Kal, how is that Guavaberry? Is it 80 proof? Or is it more like a Parrot's Bay? Also, why is it so much more than the other liquor? Have you guys tried any of the banana rum drinks? Thanks again. You guys (GTaylor, Kris, and Kal) have haleped me out a lot.

Kal, how is that Guavaberry? Is it 80 proof? Or is it more like a Parrot's Bay? Also, why is it so much more than the other liquor? Have you guys tried any of the banana rum drinks? Thanks again. You guys (GTaylor, Kris, and Kal) have haleped me out a lot.

Guavaberry is the only product that has local ties to St. Maarten. They've got a good marketing program and provide samples to anyone walking in the shop. They mix it up into a colada drink with lots of ice and coco loco (sugar). On a hot day it's really refreshing so many tourists consider it a "must have" purchase. Basically it's a chick drink. In actuality, it's quite bitter and has the flavor of cough syrup when sipped straight.

The other mainstay is Ma DouDou. This is a rum flavored with various blends such as coconut, banana or vanilla. It's pretty good.

Rum Jumbie is also a local product:

Philipsburg Liquor Store Pointe Blanche (next to the cruise ship port). This was the first liquor store in St Maarten, dating back to 1963. The authentic, colorful building is home to many international brands with over 1,500 wines, spirits, liqueurs, tobacco. The famous Rum Jumbie Liqueur originated from here, a perfect souvenir of St Maarten! telefonblue15.gif (599) 542-3587

Rum Jumbie @ Philipsburg Liquor Store

I just remembered one of the very best (if not THE BEST) top shelf tequilas:

Cuervo Reserva de la Familia Agave

It sells for something north of $160/liter in the US.

Archived