Tag Your Luggage Brightly

MokieWoman

Just a quick tip for cruisers and flyers....the last time I went to baggage claim I was amazed at all the black luggage....everything looked the same! Luckily, someone had warned me before my trip and I went to Walmart and bought brightly-colored bandanas and tied one to each handle of my luggage. Made spotting it much easier than trying to read the names on all of the tags. I'm going on my first cruise May 29th and from what I hear, this will come in handy at baggage claim for the air trip and for the end of the cruise.

I purchased luggage straps in red.white & blue for our upcoming cruise to put on our black suitcases I also a pieces of duct tape on the front of the suitcase, found that worked really well when we went to Hawaii back 2004.

Christine

Another great tip: Don't assume your luggage is still on the "track" going round and round.....Someone took some of our pieces off and placed them on the ground. We spent 40 minutes watching for our luggage. DH even checked the other carousels just in case:rolleyes:

I finally found the missing pieces piled against a wall. I had walked by them a dozen times assuming they were someone elses.....:eek:

I also "marked" my luggage with flourecent tags (too bad they were hidden while I was searching)

~Connie

I have red luggage. I had black, but could never find mine in the 'sea of black' when leaving an airport or cruise terminal. Now, I see a 'sea of black and red'... Many new colors.

What I did was buy the 2" wide red & white polka dot grosgrain ribbon, and superglued it all around my luggage pieces. Pretty? Noooo - but it's so easy to locate now.:D I decided that scarves, pompoms, etc., could be removed by someone. Superglued ribbon can't!

I have dark blue luggage. I use flourescent green luggage tags and luggage locks and then on the handles I have large, brightly colored shower poofs. When people go to grab the handle and find that shower poof they tend to realize it's not their bag.

I got yellow colored duct tape and put our initials on our black luggage as big as I could. Had no problem locating them. Plus our TA gave us pink tags to also put on our luggage.

Kim

But don't forget about our American ability to try and be different "just like everyone else".

True story, just last week returning from Vegas, I saw a man remove his bag from the bagage claim. He studied it VERY thoroughly, both the carrier's strip and opened his own personal tag. I will look too these days, but thought to myself, he was being abit over the top.

His bags were black with a purple 'band' around them.

As he was scrutinzing his tags, another black bag with a purple band was about to pass by, so I said (in my best friendly Texan voice) "Hey, is that one yours too?". He smiled and said "No, and on the trip out to Vegas I had taken it by mistake...".

So when you see that one bag drop down and it has the "fill in the name of an odd color here" doo-dad hanging off it.....don't automatically go into relief mode (cause face it, don't you always feel relieved at the mere sight of your bag making it to the same city as you)....and just assume it is yours.

I suggest that in the sea of plain black bags, we are forced once again to look at the tag for sure...but today every WalMart sells the same "Big Orange Tags"...chances are someone on your flight had the exact same idea.

See you in a buffet line soon...

But don't forget about our American ability to try and be different "just like everyone else".

True story, just last week returning from Vegas, I saw a man remove his bag from the bagage claim. He studied it VERY thoroughly, both the carrier's strip and opened his own personal tag. I will look too these days, but thought to myself, he was being abit over the top.

His bags were black with a purple 'band' around them.

As he was scrutinzing his tags, another black bag with a purple band was about to pass by, so I said (in my best friendly Texan voice) "Hey, is that one yours too?". He smiled and said "No, and on the trip out to Vegas I had taken it by mistake...".

So when you see that one bag drop down and it has the "fill in the name of an odd color here" doo-dad hanging off it.....don't automatically go into relief mode (cause face it, don't you always feel relieved at the mere sight of your bag making it to the same city as you)....and just assume it is yours.

I suggest that in the sea of plain black bags, we are forced once again to look at the tag for sure...but today every WalMart sells the same "Big Orange Tags"...chances are someone on your flight had the exact same idea.

See you in a buffet line soon...

Great advice. I always check myself, not because I've ever taken somebody else's bags, but because more than once I've had somebody try to take my bag - that wasn't even the same color as theirs. At the end of a really long flight, all luggage can start to look the same.

Archived