Question on Celebrity Transfers ship/airport

ChrisMiss

In another thread where I asked several questions, hajekfam answered one with:

"If you have your transfer from Celebrity, they usually don't get to the port until shortly before boarding time. They may take you on a little tour (driveby) first."

Okay. I booked directly with the cruise line. As I said in the other thread, this is our first cruise. I thought having Celebrity do the airport to ship transfer in Venice and then ship to airport in Barcelona would be the cheapest -- maybe I'm wrong -- so that's why I had the Celebrity reservation person add that in.

BUT they asked for my flight information coming in and going out, so I guess I just assumed it's a "personal" transfer or maybe that they would pick up a group at a time at least close to when we're landing.

Are you saying that there's only one time that they would be picking up at the airport?? Meaning that if we get in at 9:30 am, we'll be sitting at the airport waiting for the time that the Celebrity van or whatever it is comes to get everyone coming in that day at once??? No one made that clear whatsoever when I booked the transfers, and if that's true, I guess I'll be canceling them and finding the next best way to get to the ship.

I'm also confused as to when embarkation really is in the first place for our cruise. The Celebrity website says embarkation is three hours before departure, but the ship for our Med cruise isn't leaving until 5:00 pm the next day. Is this something you don't know until you get your official cruise documents?

Thanks for your info.

Chris

Windjammer Polynesia -- May 1991

Windjammer Flying Cloud -- May 2001

I've flown into Barcelona for X Constellation. They'll will be 30-40 busess

leaving at Intervals during the day. The majority of European cruisers still arrive the same day as the cruise departure (despite great CC advice here)

The Pro is that, everything is arranged for you. If your plane is late, and you're not arriving a day earlier, it's simple, stupid. No stress. It's a little

more expensive than say a cab, but convienent and safe.

If you are arriving early, no point in the transfer. It's cheaper and more time efficient to take a cab. The Port is very close to the city centre (say unlike Rome, where a transfer or limo is required)

I can't speak to Venice, except it's such a small city, you can literally walk there yourself (lol)

Transfers are like excursions. Often it's mroe cost-efficient and time-effecient to make your own plans, but often one doesn't want to you,

so you pay a little more and maybe stabd around a little more to be chauffered, but hey, it sure is nice (lol)

jc

X Millenuim 2005

X Constellation 2002

I have only experienced the transfer in Barcelona for our first transatlantic cruise. We booked a precruise stay in the hotel.

Did you book your air with Celebrity? It sounds like you booked your own air if they are asking you for flight times. They will probably pick up a group at the airport - there aren't that many flights that will have cruise passengers on them.

We have used Celebrity air for our transatlantics as it was much cheaper than booking our own seeing as we needed two one way flights. Celebrity books several people on a flight, and in Barcelona we were taken from the airport to the hotel and the hotel to the pier in minivans. There was somebody with a Celebrity sign to greet us at the airport and a desk manned by a Celebrity rep in the hotel lobby during our stay.

As far as the ship being ready - we have boarded in Barcelona as early as noon and there were already people on. Disembarkation starts early in the morning and as soon as all are off, they will let the new people board. You may have to stay in the common areas until the rooms are ready, but we usually drop our carryon off in our room.

3 hours before departue is the usual standard time Celebrity given by Celebrity for boarding, but in our experience it has always been much earlier. I think they use that time frame in case there are problems.

Archived