Questions About New Waves Program on Princess--Snorkeling

I'm usually very active, but ended up with a back problem (ruptured disc) last year and am in quite a bit of pain so I have to limit my activity this cruise. I have very little pain when I'm in the water, so that's why we chose to do a Caribbean cruise--lots of snorkeling opportunities! My girls have, but I've never snorkeled before so I don't want to just assume that if I put on the equipment everything else will come naturally. So, I was excited to hear that Princess has the New Waves program.

If you've participated in it, can you please address the following?

How early in the cruise are the snorkeling lessons held? And, do they have the lessons more than once?

If you're having trouble "catching on" are they able to help on an individual basis or do you just have to try to figure it out for yourself?

After taking the lesson (is it only one or a series?), will I be able to snorkel comfortably or is there a steep learning curve? I ask because we're planning to take an excursion in Grand Cayman that includes reef snorkeling and also snorkel with dolphins in Cozumel.

Any advice??

Thanks so much!

Jayne

How early in the cruise are the snorkeling lessons held? And, do they have the lessons more than once?

Good Morning Jayne,

The New Waves instructors usually conduct complimentary snorkel lessons on Monday when sailing the Western Caribbean. I believe it is held around 11AM at Neptune's Reef Pool. To my knowledge it is only done once. There is however a stop at Princess Cays on Sunday. You may want to inquire when you embark Saturday at the Shore Excursion Desk to see if they will be doing anything over there.

If you're having trouble "catching on" are they able to help on an individual basis or do you just have to try to figure it out for yourself?

Jayne,

Here are a couple of observations that may help. The demo last about an hour. The new waves instructors are there the entire time. They go over everything from mask & fin fit to how to use the snorkel before you ever get into the pool. Once your questions have been answered hop in and they will go over how to position yourself in the water for an enjoyable snorkel. There really isn't a learning curve. If you can swim and breath through your mouth you'll be fine. Just remember most rental snorkels are like a big straw so just remember to keep it above water. They will however teach you how to clear the snorkel if water should get into it. Simply exhale forcefully to blow the water out.

Hope this helps,

Bruce. thanks--it does help. It's just an unknown for me! You know the old adage about old dogs learning new tricks!

I appreciate the encouragement.

I'm assuming the lessons are early in the cruise so we'd only miss one snorkeling opportunity--Princess Cay is our first port. And, that's fine. My DDs and I plan to hang out on the beach and I've reserved a couple of floats for the day and 30 minutes on one of the paddle boats, so we should be just fine there. But, we're planning on snorkeling in both Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Thanks for your help!

Jayne

Also, remember that snorkling in salt water is really easy, you naturally float. Just make sure you can feel comfortable clearing the snorkle if water gets into it. Also, heavily suggest water shoes. Both protect the feet in the water and on the beach and the snorkle fins are much more comfortable. Around $10 at Target, etc.

Archived