Over the door shoe thingy

WindinmySails

You can put nightgown, socks, underwear, makeup, first-ad kit, newsletters from the ship, books, camera and batteries, blowdryer, curling iron, purse, house shoes and anything else you can think of. It really saves space and is so handy. Just hang it over the bar in the closet.

Happy Cruising!

Carol

I'll admit -- I never heard of it until I saw it on CC and won't be using it until our next cruise in July. But with all the land and sea traveling we do, this is a brilliant idea! :D

You can put all of your toiletries in the see-thru slots so everybody knows where their stuff is -- there's just no room in the bathroom to put everything -- no more "where's my razor?" and digging through things to find it. I'm going to use this for all of our travels, when you think of all the bathrooms in hotels that have no shelf space!

We use it for all of the "stuff" that would otherwise be littering up the desk area: cameras, pens, post-it notepad, coins, extra batteries, sunglasses, walkie-talkies, cellphones, battery rechargers not currently in use, camp phone or beeper, etc. That leaves the desk clear, so you can actually use it. It also means all the little bits of things are all in one place and you aren't endlessly "in search of _____". I use a clear plastic one so you can see where everything is. We hang it on the outside of the bathroom door so you can get to it, even if the bathroom is occupied.

I've found it really, really useful, but we travel with two kids, so with four in a cabin, keeping things organized is key. Plus, the kids are always collecting things. They get the bottom row of pockets for thier collections. It may not be necessary for two adults.

HTH! Have a great cruise.

• 1 month later...

Well, thanks to Calgon almost 20 years ago.. the shoe bag idea has caught on...and it's our MUST!! In our necessities bag.. The ideal bag is folds into almost nothing...and we use it for sun tan lotions,flashlight, shampoos, hair dryer (I like mine), Whisk, wooden clothes pins, sandals, dress shoes, first aid kit, sewing kit, cotton balls and q-tips, etc. Parrot Mom has been using this for 20 years... and when we bring it home I hopefully have made a notation on a stick it... of items that need refilled and replenished like makeup and toothpaste. Non-aerosal air freshner has been added lately as has walkie talkies..

The other tip that I have not posted..is that if we have a cabin that has a pull down bed.. Parrot Pop put his clothes up there...leaving me, Parrot Mom ... the whole closet..lol

• 1 month later...
Other than the obvious, what do you use this for? I have seen it on a number of packing lists and everyone seems to rave about this item. So, I bought it, now what to use it for ......?

Thanks!

anybody have a link to one of these? i think i know what you are all talking about but couldnt find one this weekend in one of the big discount stores....help?:o

anybody have a link to one of these? i think i know what you are all talking about but couldnt find one this weekend in one of the big discount stores....help?:o

Try Walgreens or the grocery store, that is where I purchased mine for about $7.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-2/qid=1154993291/ref=sr_1_2/602-3709619-8392621?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B000CEC16A

You can copy, cut, and paste this link to see it on the target web site. I bought mine at target and LOVE it. Currently I am on a land vacation to South Padre Island and love using it.

Thanks for all your suggestions, btw..I started this thread and can't believe what a life saver this is!

I bought one at Wallmart for around $9.00 very nice and it even has a mirrow attached and special pockets for hair dryer , but I also purchased one from the dollar store ( more pockets) but not made as well. We intend to use them both.

cheap one on the inside of the bathroom (for all the toiletries), and the nice one on the outside.(as an additional are to apply make up or other itemds we dont want in the bathroom). we will be 3 wonem in one cabin so we intend to maximize space. I also picked up the idea hear on the boards and I think its great!

Here's another idea,they also sell hanging sweater & shoe racks

(they simply are attached to the rod by velcro) so we can maximize closet & draw space. (There is never enough) and no one has to live out of their suit case! with 3 women in one room.....well you get the picture. hope this helps have a great cruise! Dancing girl

I have yet to use my over the door thingy, since my cruise isn't until Dec. But I applaud your use of the word thingy. It isn't used enough in my own opinion :)

• 2 weeks later...
OK we have bought one of these over the door shoe things for our upcomming cruise. On the Princess ships will the bathroom door close with it hanging on the door.

No, it won't. We have one with thin hooks but the bathroom door seals tightly and it wouldn't close with it on there. The closet doesn't have doors to hang from so we hung ours on the door of the safe closet (there are shelves in there). Worked out just fine.

Gail

• 10 months later...

We have the behind the door "thing" and have had no problem closing the bathroom door and we have the hanging shoe compartment thing that hangs from the bar in the closet.

The only adjustment we had to make was on the bathroom door thing. There are "two" robe hooks or knobs on the back of the bathroom door that stick out about 3-4 inches; we had a pair of scissors and cut two little holes...

perfecto!!

We used ours on our February Tahitian Princess cruise and found it invaluable for keeping the clutter off the bathroom counter. Meds, razor, and just "stuff" We used every available pocket and are seriously considering another for "shoes" (go figure) on our next cruise.

1320397823_DoorOrganizer.jpg.f64a46e0ff83da0fa3c6cae96e8036b4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you pack it before you leave you won't have room in your suitcase. The over the door shoe holder lays flat in the suitcase. When you get to your cabin open it up, as you unpack put the things in that you think will work for you.

Before my last cruise and after reading these boards, I bought one of the shoe hangers, but I ended up leaving it at home because I just wasn't sure it was going to be that useful for me. And sure enough -- while I was on the cruise, there was never a single moment when I said, "Wow, I sure wish I'd brought the shoe hanger for this!" We hung most of our clothes (I did pack extra clothes hangers) and Mariner had plenty of drawers and shelves for our other junk.

I know the shoe hanger is indispensible for alot of cruisers. For me, it would just have been one more place for clutter to collect, because I'm that way. :p One less thing to pack.

This may sound silly but I have to ask. Do you pack it before you leave. Or do you fill it when you unpack the suit case? :confused:

I put mine on my bathroom door at home about a week before we leave. As I buy those last minute things for the cruise and use things I already have and want to take them I put them in the pockets. When I get ready to pack I take gallon sized ziploc bags and pack things in them, sorting by type. The bags help keep things organized and protect my clothes and suitcase from any accidental spills of anything.

Archived