11 Cabins Booked--no group incentive?

um, ok, well my point was that my group did NOT book as a group. We were all individual bookings (but cross-referenced) because the group rate was much WORSE than what we got booking as individuals. We had a total of 16 people in 8 cabins. We then got the credit after the fact, several months after we sailed. We got the equivalent of cruise fare for one berth (no taxes or port fees) for the predominantly booked cabin. For us, the most-booked cabin was D1, so we got the $700 or so that one berth in a D1 would cost (double occupancy, meaning we got "half" a cabin)

So you were able to make this work even after final payment had been sent in? Did you arrange this through your travel agent? We supposedly went through the group department at this travel agency, so I would assume she would have informed us of this. I am a little frustrated that we weren't told, and a lot concerned that it may be too late.

pmshirl-I am surprised you never encountered that before. I don't think it's that uncommon but by the volume you seem to book I would think most agents would strive to keep you happy and give it up front if you so desire. It doesn't arrive in house till the commission shows up and that's after you sail.

As for the amenity points let me say these are NOT GIVEN ON EVERY sailing. My August 5th Explorer group to Bermuda were not offered these because there aren't ANY! RC knows this will be a sell out so they aren't going to spring for them. My group leader will be receiving the TC, however.

What are amenity points and how are these determined?

Okay, I have a little clarification, and I am not sure whether anyone has any knowledge or experience with this. My husband actually did the calling. He has been gone camping for the last two days while I have been getting into what he termed, "Cruise Critic mischief."

According to my him, he asked for the group rate. The travel agent that he worked with quoted him a rate significantly higher than those that we had found online. She told us the lower rate was only available as a special, but did not entitle us to group rate incentives and that it would actually be cheaper for us to book individually at the special rate. Does this sound accurate? We did get an extremely good rate.

What are amenity points and how are these determined?

Amenity points are called GAP points..........Group Activity Points........the number of points you get depends on ship, date, itinerary and number of cabins you have booked.........again the group department at RC will be able to tell you the number of GAP points you have earned for your particular cruise.........then the group department can send you all the things you can use your GAP points for........

As a group leader for several cruises I can tell you what can be expected. RCCL offers 1 free passage (not cabin) for every 8 cabins that are sold as part of the block. Your local TA can ggo on to crusingpower and see what the rates are for groups on sailings and if the crusie line offers amenity points. You can generally get 2 - 8 amenity points for sailings if the cruise line is offering them on your sailing. Frequently sailings to the Caribbean during the summer and holidays do not have amenity points as the cruise line sells those sailings out every time.

You can use the amenity points for a variety of things. Your TA can give you a list and should let the group leader choose what they will be used for. You can get RCCL towels, champagne, fruit baskets, etc. My TA not only gave me the list and asked me to choose what we wanted, but she has gotten us two separate price decreases since we booked almost a year ago. I have a copy if anyone wants to see it.

Technically you only need 4 cabins to be considered a group, but you only get the free cruise passenger and amenity points if you get up to 8 cabins. The earlier you book the better your chance of amenity points.

I will be booking our group Meditterean cruise for next July in about a week or so to get our best possible deal. Right now the sailing I picked has 6 amenity points. For this summer's cruise we have 8 amenity points that we are using for a cocktail party and a few other things for our group. Our free passenger fares are used to have parties and do activities for the entire group to enjoy.

Hope this helps.

-DEM920

tdembek@optonline.net

Okay, I have a little clarification, and I am not sure whether anyone has any knowledge or experience with this. My husband actually did the calling. He has been gone camping for the last two days while I have been getting into what he termed, "Cruise Critic mischief."

According to my him, he asked for the group rate. The travel agent that he worked with quoted him a rate significantly higher than those that we had found online. She told us the lower rate was only available as a special, but did not entitle us to group rate incentives and that it would actually be cheaper for us to book individually at the special rate. Does this sound accurate? We did get an extremely good rate.

yes, that sounds accurate. Your specific cruise must have had a special running at the time of booking, that did not include groups. :)

So you were able to make this work even after final payment had been sent in? Did you arrange this through your travel agent? We supposedly went through the group department at this travel agency, so I would assume she would have informed us of this. I am a little frustrated that we weren't told, and a lot concerned that it may be too late.

My travel agent knew all along that we wanted to be a group, but we didn't have all 8 cabins from the start. We cross-referenced them all, and my understanding is that it wasn't until after we sailed that he actually contacted RCCL and asked for the concession. I will ask him when I next talk to him. We explicitly were NOT booked as a group because the group rates were not good.

Thank-you for the clarification. It did not sound from your original post that it was originally booked as a group. Boy everyone was sure quick to jump on the agent for taking something from you though!! Sometimes you can get better rates if you don't book into group space, but in exchange, you don't get the amenities that the group has. It sounds as if you will have a great time!

As far as the question about all having to be booked in the same category...a couple things may be happening here...1) The group may have only one category available (highly unlikely), or 2) what was meant is that the free berth will be awarded in the category where the highest number of cabins were booked...ie...if there are 10 Cat 4 and 2 Cat 11's, the free berth $$ will be based on the Cat 4. this is standard with every cruiseline.

Archived