Topless & Wine - Wine - Wine!!!!!!!!

I posted this question earlier but no one responded, so I thought I would try again. :o

Is there a topless deck on RCCL? - I have only sailed Celebrity, and we were just curious (young children, you know!).:cool:

Also - On RCCL, if we bring our own wine on board (sometimes the selection on board is limited/not that great) can we dine with our own wine for a corkage fee?

According to the Guest Vacation Policy revised 10/22/03 on the RCCL website:

Topless Sunbathing

Topless sunbathing will be permitted on Deck 10 of all European itineraries. All other itineraries will adhere to a

NO topless sunbathing policy.

.....not that I have any personal experience......

We've been on a couple of ships(not RCCL) where they had a topless deck, but it shouldn't be a problem even with children. It's a small deck that you have to go up some steps to get to, and a gate is there with a sign saying that it's a topless deck. It's not that accessible.

What cruise ship has the bottomless decks so men can tan and I can go look at them?LOL! I am going to be the prude here, but it really is the number one reason I refuse to take my kids on a Carnival cruiseline. I know Carnival won't let them up there, but I don't want to be around people who need to do that. Go ahead, flame me I'm used to heat! I work w/ too many firemen who love sitting on the topless deck of Carnival.It's why they book- to look at naked women...... To each his own. I won't go on a ship that has nude or even topless sunbathing. For me- that's not a vacation. For others- it is freedom to do what you want. Carnival is calling you! If RCCL changed their policy- I'd be on a different ship in a heartbeat.

Karen, the prude

boingy300: I am not going to flame you; you are entitled to your opinions and entitled to post them. However, I wonder why you think that women who enjoy topless sunbathing "need" to do it? I can't imagine that most women (me included) would choose a cruise one way or the other based solely on whether topless sunbathing is allowed. I also wonder why you think these women (and I guess the men who are with them) are somehow bad people? This seems to be what you are saying. To me there is a difference between being a "prude" and assuming that topless sunbathing will lead to "anything goes" or some sort of orgy.

Just because a woman enjoys sunbathing topless DOES NOT mean she is easy or cheap or likely to commit a crime. Many cultures include topless sunbathing. These same cultures have strong moral values and are no more prone to crime or sexual problems than the US is. In fact, I believe that when it comes to sex in the US, we tend to send extremely mixed messages to our youth. OTOH, European cultures (most of which allow topless sunbathing) have far fewer problems when it comes to teen behavior.

Certainly you should cruise where you feel comfortable. Since I assume that you also will not go to countries that allow topless sunbathing, I can only say that you will miss some beautiful places and wonderful people. And please realize that just because the men you know like to look at topless women does not make them bad people either. The fact is that topless sunbathing truly has nothing to do with "freedom to do what you want." A person who wants to behave badly will, regardless of what kind of sunbathing is involved.

Again, this is not meant as a flame. I just want to give you my point of view.

:cool: beachchick

I never said the women are cheap- you did. I actually think these women have a very high self esteem to do it. I said whether they realize it, or not, that they are gawked at by men (at least the ones I work with). I was repreating what my coworkers say and why they cruise w/cruises that allow it. I have been to numerous nude beaches- it's not pretty naked people believe me, but at this point in our childrens life the "really beautiful beaches " I must be missing can wait. I stand by my statement that I would stop going w/ RCCL if the policy changed while I had children. Not a big deal what people do on other ships or other beaches. I am a nurse and see "naked" people everyday.....it feels like work! That for me is not a vacation. Just my opinion, go get naked. Have a blast.

boingy300: I know you didn't say "cheap," and I know that it's hard to "see" inflection in typed words. It's just that it seemed to me to be what you meant by both "I don't want to be around people who need to do that" (I still don't quite get what you mean by that) and "freedom to do what you want." If I misinterpreted your intention, sorry about that. And if I did, than what exactly did you mean?

Of course topless women are looked at (and sometimes "gawked" at) by men. That is the nature of humankind. The men who gawk will gawk at a woman in a bathing suit just as easily as they will gawk at a woman who is topless.

I did not say you were missing only "really beautiful beaches" (in fact, that is not a quote from me at all). I said that I could only assume that you would not visit any countries that allow topless sunbathing. Your contention has to do with the allowing of it in the first place, not whether your children will actually see it. Thus, any country that allows it must be off-limits for allowing it in the first place. That is certainly your right. I am just wondering if you follow through. For example, if you go on a Caribbean cruise will you make sure that the ship doesn't stop at a port where topless sunbathing is allowed anywhere on the island (like St. Martin)? Will you forgo taking your children to Europe (on a cruise or on land) because most European countries have topless sunbathing? What about Australia, where it is the norm?

Also, I disagree with you about "not pretty naked people." As a nurse, you must know that the human body can be beautiful in all its shapes, ages, and sizes. I don't "get naked" with anyone but my DH (or my sister). However, I do get topless when I am (1) with my DH, (2) feel comfortable, and (3) am in a place where it is allowed and appropriate. And I feel certain that because I am (gulp) middle-aged, no longer slim, and that gravity has started to win, that you would consider me "not pretty." That's your right and your opinion of course, but my DH thinks I'm beautiful and that's what matters to me.

If your coworkers go on a specific cruise solely because topless sunbathing is allowed, then they are gawkers. However, not all men who find topless women attractive gawk; they merely enjoy. And the world of difference is in how they perceive women overall--not just when they are topless.

Let's just say that we will have to agree to disagree about some things, but I hope we can agree about one thing: Some men respect women, clothed or otherwise, and some men don't. Topless sunbathing doesn't change that.

And I do respect your right to shelter your children from whatever you wish. That is your choice as a parent. More power to you for being an involved parent in the first place.

beachchick

Wow - I didn't mean to start a battle over a woman's right to 'bare breasts' - ha, ha! :p

I must say although my original posting gave the impression that I am not okay with the "topless option" due to children, I actually enjoy it every now and again - with my husband present of course. I actually agree with Beach Chick - of all the things I would be worried about exposing children to, the naked human body is not one of them. While I have no children (was actually inquiring for a friend) I think I would find it much easier to explain the naked human body to a child rather than some of the violence and crudity found on regular prime time and cartoon television. The more we shield children and given them the impression that the body is somthing to be hidden, the more stigma we attach to our own sexuality. But, of course this is just my own personal opinion!

Oh, and by the way - I actually like to be "gawked at" every once in awhile. It lets me know I've still got it...if you know what I mean!!! They can look, but only my hubby can touch! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input!

Archived