Fun Things To Do On A Cruise That Aren't Listed In The Itinerary???

pholter

I've been sitting here bored tonight and just wondering what some of the things are you can do on a Cruise that aren't listed in the brochure?? You know, all those things that aren't on the itinerary that are memorable or just alot of fun.

I kinda liked sneaking in to the main showroom after hours and watching the dance crew practice...
There are lots of them out there and I'd love some new ideas for my next cruise.;)

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=darkorchid]i can think of a few things but i better not say them here on the board :D . but seeing the captain navigate the ship would be fun and interesting. [/color][/size][/font]

[b][size=3][color=darkslategray]You may not call this 'fun', but I love music, so I sometimes go into the main show lounge while the band is rehearsing - or as above, when the dancers are practicing. [/color][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][color=#2f4f4f][/color][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][color=#2f4f4f]BTW, you can't go to the bridge anymore - after 9/11, it's a taboo area for non-personnel. Too bad, 'cause that was always interesting. [/color][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][color=#2f4f4f][/color][/size][/b]
[b][size=3][color=#2f4f4f]You could always go down to the kiddie pool. If there's nobody in the area, it's a nice quiet place to relax in the water.:eek: [/color][/size][/b]

Hmmm Besides the big stuff....here are a few of my favorites.

Getting up early on port days ( yeah I know it is hard ) and watching the ship manuever into port. There is just something about watching the huge ship turn 360degreee and squeeze through a small channel that amazes me. You can often watch the Crew up on the bridge out on each outside edge of the platform, helping and guiding the ship in. In Matzalan we were greeted by school children singing their ABCS, it was a charming sight.

Participating in the various games and contests has always been great fun too. Whether you are watching or playing a game of Survivor or the hairy chest contest or the newlywed game, it gets you to know your ship mates and makes you realize how hard the social staff works and what great fun just having FUN is.

The ship galley tour is another thing I urge people to do at least once. The galleys are amazing. Stainless steel marvels of tables and coolers and huge stoves. It is a spotless marvel when you walk through and it makes me wonder what the heck does it look like in the middle of second seating dinner?

I have several times also gone to visit the hospital (since I work in one) and chat with the medical staff. Most are friendly and willing to tell you about how they work. I even got a short tour on the Destiny. They are a true ER and able to handle some difficult cases, let alone the seasickness, blisters and bumps and scrapes we all bring them day in and day out. Life in a hospital ER can be harrowing, can you imagine their job on a sea day with a patient crashing from a heart attack?

Lastly my favorite thing... sunrise...nothing but the blue sea and a light wind. It is a time to dream of where you are headed, the horizon, a promise of adventure. Sure people all rave about sunsets.... but I will take the promise of a new day at sea any day...

Nancy

Yes sunrise!!!! I love going up to the walking track at sunrise and walking on sea days the breaze blowing getting warmed up. After a long nite of partying it really makes me feel good. Then having a bite to eat and starting on bloody marys and gettin a choice decl location. ahhh I wish I was there now!!!! :D

Yes, I too love the sunsets from the balcony. I'm betting that getting my butt up to the top deck would even be better though! There's nothing like Sunrise and Sunset while visiting tropical islands...

one of our "rituals" before turning in for the night is to take a stroll around the promenade deck....VERY romantic and calming before turning in for the evening....sometimes it's after a show or visit to a lounge.....nice way to reflect on what you did that day and "wind down" from the day's events....

Marsha

In addition to many of the things mentioned above, we enjoy people watching. Our fellow pax have ranged from interesting to amusing to shocking. Hey, it's cheap entertainment! :D I also love to sit on the balcony and look for flying fish or just watch the ocean roll by. We finally saw dolphins on our last cruise as we were leaving Martinique.

I have to agree with the posters above... the sunrise is one of the most profound times, especially as you are approaching an island.. and it gets closer and closer...then the lights on the island start to go out as that beautiful sun creeps higher and higher...

ALSO.... As soon as I board I go to the Spa and volunteer to be the person getting a facial during the tours. I've gotten a free facial every time ... nice way to start the cruise!

Exploring the ship one end to the other is good too... you could find great places to watch the sunset later.

I know the Sunrise is next to impossible, but I've been on two cruises and I still haven't seen the Sunset, we always do the late dinner seating and miss it and haven't been fortunate enough to get a window. I definitely got to walk around on Lido Deck after Midnight a few times, it really is quite calming. ;)

Archived