Your Opinion Of TSA Locks.....

ESLO

Hi All,

Will be going on the 3rd July QM2 trip out of Redhook and going over shopping list and packing list.

I always (side) on the side of security when traveling with our personal belongings. We do have a certain amount of confidence in the staff handling the baggage. But just in case of emergency our baggage has to be storaged or sent on, we just want a sense of security.

Question: Has anyone had any experience of their baggage searched from the time it was handed over to the streetwalk porters to the time you open it in your cabin? I know a certain amount of Xray-ing is expected.

I know that TSA locks can prevent damage to your older locks and also to the baggage in case they need an internal look. If they have difficulty, I think they would call you down.

Just wondering others experience if any.

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

I usually carry a significant amount of electronic equipment in my checked baggage (laptop power supplies, DC/AC converters, step-down transformers for using U.S. equipment in the U.K.), and TSA searches my bag almost every time. They will usually leave a note, but not always. (I can tell they've searched it...things like the digital camera will no longer be in its case, and so forth.)

You should not assume that they will not damage the locks on your suitcases. The rules are pretty specific...you should not lock your suitcase before you check it unless you're using the TSA-approved locks that they can open themselves. In my case, I have a three-digit combination lock built into my suitcase, and I wrote right above it (on the suitcase) "TSA: 000" so that, if the combination was accidentally changed, they'd know what it was and wouldn't have to break the lock.

I was in the airport in Oklahoma City one time when they paged a passenger to return to the check-in counter and unlock their bag. But that's a very rare exception.

My favorite is when they change the combination on my lock after they've checked it, so that the lock stays engaged. (It's the same combination... 000...they just reset the wheels.) It's nice to think that someone is paying attention.

Bill

Archived