Salt water pools?

kala4

Salt water pools really aren't bad at all. I would really rather wash off salt water than to deal with the chlorine! The ships have them because they are easy to empty and fill. I think that they usually do it every night, which helps get rid of anything that shouldn't be in the water. :eek: They do not have to add chlorine, which is one less thing for them to have to take care of.

I found that once I knew that the pools were salt water, I didn't have a problem with them.

I hate salt water. I can deal with it in the ocean, but not in a pool. Because we love to swim so much, I will find it hard to get my husband on another cruise if the only option is a saltwater pool. RCI Majesty of the Seas was Chorinated a few year back and Disney was Chorinated. Other than that, I am not 100% sure of any. Most are seawater. Maybe someone else can help with some more updated info. I would be happy to hear the answer as well!

Mrsfuzzmo

Because we love to swim so much, I will find it hard to get my husband on another cruise if the only option is a saltwater pool. Mrsfuzzmo

I have never seen anyone swim in a pool on a cruise. the pools are just not big enough or are overly crowded.

Disney and Princess has fresh water pools. (are princess pools opened 24 hours or emptied each night?)

Any water that is near the ocean will become salt. There is salt in the air. I lived in an ocean front condo that was "fresh water" but if you do not empty it daily it soon becomes salty.

For safety reasons, pools are closed around 10.

'

SInce the fresh water pools are empty every day-- are they getting the water from the ocean and desalianting it?

I mean where will a ship hold all that water for the week?

I truly don't understand the salt water pool thing.

Without chlorine, any virus, bacteria, strep, rash, ecoli, whatever can spread in the water, with nothing to kill it.

Aren't there health regulations for pools?

I don't mind salt--its the absence of chlorine I mind.

Of course I swim in the ocean--the idea there is that the gunk is so diluted, though it isn't always.

'

SInce the fresh water pools are empty every day-- are they getting the water from the ocean and desalianting it?

I mean where will a ship hold all that water for the week?

I'm not sure if they are emptied and re-filled or not. However, the Princess ships desalinate their own water. (At least, the Sapphire does). When we were on-board her, they had a fascinating program on the TV showing the on board de-salination and oil refining equipment. By not being dependent on loading up on fresh water and refined oil in port, they can operate much cheaper and go to more remote places.

If you're bothered by the salt water, there are usually showers nears the pools that you can either use to rinse off after you've been in the pool, or just to cool off with and avoid the pool altogether.

T

Archived